This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

What is social justice? Social justice is justice regarding the distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges, much of which surrounds the healthcare industry as well. Let’s consider healthcare facilities, such as hospitals, created to assist people in living healthier, happier, and longer lives. It is a positive social service. Individuals within these institutions, such as doctors, nurses, and patients, influence many things, such as costs in healthcare, care plans, malpractice, and accessibility for all.

Everyone has the right to quality healthcare; however, inequality remains. Illness rates among Hispanics, African Americans, and Asians remain significantly increased in our world. According to the American Public Health Association (APHA), African Americans, Hispanics, and Asian Americans are sicker than the rest of the country. Over one-third of these inequalities are due to unfair medical costs and poor and biased access to healthcare.

As nurses, our goal is to always help a patient attain their full health potential and advocate for their rights. However, we face many disparities that may be hard to overcome, such as the lack of access to quality food and technology. These are factors outside of our healthcare facility we may not be able to directly control but can surely influence. Nurses should also educate themselves on diverse cultural groups and communication styles to encompass care plans and promote positive health outcomes.

So, how exactly can nurses ensure social justice in care delivery? Follow the code of ethics and advocate! An example of an ethical obligation includes the need for nurses to act when there is social injustice in healthcare delivery. Nurses who want to lead positive change and promote social justice will also benefit from advanced education and leadership skills.

The aspect of social justice in healthcare is huge, but hopefully this helps provide you with a little insight and sparks your interest to learn more!

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!