“Made in the USA” Are your made in America products really ethical?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

“Made in the USA”

Are your made in America products really ethical?

We all know sweatshops are bad, but it can be fairly difficult to parse out what was made in a sweatshop just by reading the label. It has always seemed a fairly safe bet then to buy clothing made in the good old U.S. of A. Are these purchases actually any more ethical?

Just because a tag says something was made in the USA does not always mean it was. Block Division Inc, a company based out of Texas was having pulleys manufactured overseas stamped “Made in USA” before being shipped into the U.S.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/03/made-usa-should-mean-it

Even when these products are made in the USA they are often not made under the conditions one imagines. Rather than a union job with fair wages and hours many of these USA products are actually manufactured in prisons. The working conditions of these prisoners are not too different than those experienced by labourers overseas, with workers receiving pay as low as 25 cents an hour, with many corporations now looking to the US prison system as a cheap source of labour.

“[Prison labor] seems more common than it did ten or twenty years ago. And a real concern is that employers, whether they’re public or private, are naturally going to be attracted by a uniquely docile and powerless, and literally captive labor force,” David Fathi of the ACLU, pulled from  

https://newrepublic.com/article/119083/prison-labor-equal-rights-wages-incarcerated-help-economy

Some companies that have used prison labour to manufacture products include Victoria Secret and Signature Packaging Solutions- which creates the packaging for Starbucks coffee.

http://grabhouse.com/urbancocktail/products-that-are-actually-made-by-prisoners-reformed-lives/

With these prisons providing such cheap labour a question is raised about the incentive for states to keep these prisons full of ‘employees’ for these companies. Without the pressure of private prisoners could it be argued that the need for workers is also motivating the high incarceration rates in the USA?

Zoe Parco

UWindsor '19

Before I started writing this I googled "how to write a website bio", and a key piece of advice I picked up was "to be authentic".  However one has to wonder if authenticity is possible when one is trying to be authentic- and in this world of online media, where the selling feature is the supposed authenticity (these are real people like you!) are we really experiencing other peoples lives or a fabricated copy of their realities.  Anyway I'm studying biology and communications at the University of Windsor, my favourite movie is subject to change; although it is currently Trainspotting (1996), and I am a Capricorn.   
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.