LGBTQ+ Graphic Novels Perfect for All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

While school is starting back, I find that there is less time to read lengthy books. But that doesn’t mean you have to put aside reading for fun altogether. With having the past few months off from school, I have found a new love in graphic novels, specifically those that tackle themes of LGBTQ+ in the storyline and characters. The following graphic novels are ones that I have loved and definitely think you should check them out!

Check Please! (Series) by Ngozi Ukazu

Rep: M/M Relationship

This is perfect for my Canadian soul. What is better than the combination of hockey and baked goods than freshman Bitty facing the challenges of starting college and having feelings for the team captain? Told through conversations between the team as well as Twitter-type posts and messages, it will have you rooting for their team throughout the entire novel!

The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

Rep: Non-binary/Genderfluid (never fully disclosed)

With this one, it was actually the first LGBTQ+ graphic novel that I read and started me on my journey of scoping them out. This book follows Prince Sebastian, whose parents are trying to set up an arranged marriage, and dressmaker Frances, who has to keep the secret that she makes dresses for the prince. This story is beautifully woven into the writing and images as it combines discovering oneself, young love, family and art, as well as acceptance. 

Bloom by Kevin Panetta

Rep: M/M Relationship

A budding summer romance perfect to end off the warm weather and enter into the chilly fall. This graphic novel follows Ari, who upon finally finishing high school is going to move away from his family bakery and play in his band. That is until Hector, a new hire that enjoys baking as much as Ari used to, starts to change his mind. Will their love bloom, or will it go up in smoke like a burnt loaf of bread? 

Heartstopper (Series) by Alice Oseman

Rep: M/M Relationship

I am always looking for school-related novels and this one is perfect to fill that! Struggling to make it through school after being outed and bullied, Charlie Spring just wants to make it to graduation. Enter Nick Nelson, rugby player and Nick’s new friend. Having known very little about each other, what starts off as a friendship soon starts to blossom into something more, but they are worried that the other is not interested. That is, unless love works in mysterious ways.

Spinning by Tillie Walden

Rep: F/F Relationship 

Based on a true story, follow Tillie Walden as she comes to understand coming of age and coming out, as well as moving on from something you no longer love. Every day, Tillie trains on the ice rink, hopeful to reach the Olympics one day.  The sport is her escape; that is until she moves schools, gets a girlfriend, and discovers a new love for the arts, and realizes that the closed-minded life of figure skating would pose an issue to her new self. Read and watch as Tillie starts to discover her own voice after years of listening to others. 

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.