A Letter to the Friend I Lost to her Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Dear old best friend,

I am so happy that you have found someone. Found someone who you love, who you want to share all your secrets with, your fears, your dreams, and possibly the rest of your life with. You two make an adorable couple, and he has completed you in ways I as a best friend never could.

I am hurt that he became your everything and I became your nothing. I’m sorry you struggled balancing a friendship of 10 years and a new relationship. I am sorry I did not fight for our friendship harder. Now that I have been in a relationship, I understand how you ache to be with that person as much as possible. I am no longer bitter about that. I was bitter about how I was pushed aside.    

I know we both blamed each other, perhaps we were both young, stupid, and trying to grow up too quick. I know that things will never go back to what they used to be, and I don’t think either of us want that. We have grown up and have moved on.

What I want you to know is that I do not regret our years of friendship, the memories, the late night sleepovers, the Harry Potter marathons…everything. All I can do is wish you the best in your future endeavors. I hope that a world of opportunities comes your way and you reach out and grab them. I hope he still makes you happy, that you are both still completely in love with one another. I hope you found new friends who make you smile and laugh and fill your heart with joy.

To the boy I lost my friend to, take care of her. She is strong willed and beautiful, but she can break, she is fragile. Do not break her. Promise to love and take care of her just as you did in the beginning.

Dear old best friend, take care and I wish you the best in your future. Thank you for the years of friendship, I am sorry things ended on the note that they did.

Sincerely,

Your old best friend

HCXO

Lexi Sawchuk

UWindsor '20

Hi my name is Lexi and I am the social media director for Her Campus at the University of Windsor! I love working with Her Campus and the community that surrounds it. I am currently in my second year of teachers college. My dream job is to teach French and Geography at an intermediate level. I also hope to one day pursue a Masters degree in Second Language Acquisition. I am very passionate about travelling, spending time with friends and family, my cute puppy, and reading. I believe life is best enjoyed when surrounded by those you love and the things you love.