nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Leading a Stoic Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The famous philosopher Zeno of Citium once said, “We have two ears and one mouth, therefore we should listen twice as much as we speak.” This same philosopher is the one who founded what is known as stoicism. In simpler words, this quote suggests that we should think before we speak and ensure that what we want to say isn’t better left unsaid. That said, you might be wondering, “what is stoicism? Who is Zeno? Why should we think before we speak?” There are probably several questions going through your mind, and I probably won’t be able to answer nearly half of them in this article, but I think I can help lead you in the direction of possibly aspiring to a stoic lifestyle.

What is Stoicism?

Stoicism was founded in Athens in 300 BCE by Zeno of Cyprus, originating as a Hellenistic philosophy during a time period of both Western philosophy and Ancient Greek philosophy. It was originally created as a school of thought to guide people into living their best and happiest lives. Stoicism is not an easy idea to define, but I will attempt to define it in  my own words. Some things that make a stoic life for me include  disregarding what others think of you, being rational when making decisions, living a happy life according to you, not allowing others to impact how you feel or decisions you make, treating others how they treat you, and being courageous, just, wise and in control. The list goes on, but in simple words, to be a stoic, I think you must be a rational human being who is only concerned with what they can control and who lives each day to its fullest. 

What Does a Stoic Lifestyle Look Like?

To live like a stoic isn’t simple, and I definitely don’t have all the answers, but I can speak from experience. One of the most important things is knowing when to let go of certain things. This can include relationships, jobs, hobbies, habits, and pretty much anything else that is consistently involved in your life. For example, if we look at jobs: do you like where you’re working? The people? Are you being properly compensated for the efforts you put in? I have learned that many people will answer “no” to all of these questions but continue working where they work, but why? One thing I’ve come to realize in my short twenty-one years alive so far is that life is way too short to be working yourself to the bone for someone else’s business, especially when there is someone who can easily replace you. Instead, live your life for yourself. You only get one life, and even for the decisions that seem impossible, there’s always a solution. That being said, if we return to this example with the job, you should not irrationally quit because you hate your job and you’ve had enough. Instead, make a plan, figure out a way to leave that job, and you’ll be happier. Don’t refuse to look into it because it’s safe, don’t settle, and strive for greatness!

Why Should We Aspire to be Stoics?

In very simple words, we should aspire to be stoics to live a happy life. There’s no key to reach this, nor is there a right answer, but stoicism can help point us in the right direction. I really want to emphasize that it’s not a religion or a cult; it’s just a school of thought that outlines the way some people perceive life. By no means are you obligated to follow everything according to stoicism if you decide to live this lifestyle. Your life is only yours and only for you to lead. 

For me  to really develop my ideas and thoughts on each subheading, I would need several more pages, but in this article, I just wanted to introduce this idea to you and expand in later articles this idea of stoicism. This philosophical school of thought can be so beneficial when dealing with stressful events in life and learning how to let things go. In the weeks to come, I will focus on these areas in life and how a stoic might approach these situations.

Olivia Stanco

UWindsor '23

Hello my name is Olivia! I hope you love reading my articles just as much as I love writing them.