The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Looking Fabulous: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Somehow we’re expected to manage classes, friends, homework,work, and more-than-friends. We’re also supposed to do all of this while looking our best. Some chose to just say screw it and rock the “sweatpants, hair tied, chillen with no makeup on” look, and that is something that we at HC UWindsor rock at least once a week. But, for those that either have to look more professional in classes, or just take everyday as a way to look great, you quickly learn how time consuming hair/makeup/outfits can really get! Here’s some tricks to make the most out of having no time but still looking great.

The Morning Class

Hair: Depending on how much time you have, your best bet will be an updo. For a sleek bun or ponytail, don’t wash your hair (if possible) and use a dry shampoo spray such as Dove, or Big Sexy Hair to create a good texture. Gather your hair at the top of your head and spray down any fly-always; you want messy, but not frizzy.

For a half up half down look, put your hair half up in the beginning, then fix it up from there if you need. Creating a finished product from your intended style, rather than styling first and pinning up second, will save you tons of time!

Makeup: Stick to the basics!!!!! You don’t need much, and you should only spend about 5 minutes max on makeup! Start with a foundation with moisture such as a BB or CC product. This will help brighten your skin more so you don’t look too tired. Cover under eyes with concealer (try Nars creamy concealer, it doesn’t crease!), and powder to set. If you’re looking especially tired on this dreary morning, put white eyeshadow in the inner corner of your eyes, and use a light gold on the lids. These will help brighten you up so it looks like you actually slept. Finish with a lightweight mascara and lip chap with SPF. This look is very natural but also very speedy. You’ll look effortlessly fabulous. Remember that with everyday makeup, less is more!

Outfit: The best part about fall is fall fashion, this is because everything seems to match! On a warmer day, take the skirt and knee high socks with tall boots look. Complete with a tucked in comfy T, a scarf, and your favourite jacket! Honestly it doesn’t even matter what colour each piece is, you’ll probably have black, white, grey, and the ever classic maroon. To shake things up mix in some navy blue or a light pink!

On a cooler day, get comfy! Grab your favourite sweater/cardigan, a cute scarf, some leggings and warm long socks. Complete with a pair of combat boots and a jacket.

The Group Lunch

Hair: So you told your friends you were meeting them in 10 but you’re still in bed. Your best plan of action is to work with what’s already working. Curly hair? Fix up your curls with a wand or use that volume to create the ultimate messy bun. Straight hair? Fix it up with a flat iron or spray in a texture spray, such as a sea salt spray, and scrunch. If all else fails, there’s nothing wrong with a cute beany or an edgy toque.

Makeup: Once again, less best. Apply a quick foundation and powder to set. A quick line of eyeliner, mascara, and lip balm and you’re ready to walk out the door. Maybe add a touch of blush to make you more rosey if you have the time.

Outfit: A cute dress goes a long way. It’s super quick, and to keep warm while keeping it casual, add a cardigan. For a more dressy but still slightly casual look, pair it with a denim or leather jacket and matching scarf. If you’re not one for dresses, a pair of jeans and a cute top are just as great! Try a pair of light jeans, a black long sleeved top, and a light pink scarf.

The Night Out

Hair: You should have started earlier instead of binge watching How to Get Away With Murder. C’est la vie. If your roots are already a texture you can live with, put your hair in a ponytail and curl. Take out the pony tail and shake it out. Another trick is to pin your hair to one side and curl. This isn’t a very common look so you’ll look great and stand out! Always remember that a sleek ponytail with lots of volume is a classic for  a reason. Pro tip – use a curling iron such as a Mira-curl or a Curl Secret to get literal effortless curls. Curling iron in one hand, pre-drink in the other.

Makeup: Hopefully you can use the same foundation/concealer/powder base from that day. At this point in the game, strobing will be your best friend. Your face still gets the glow of highlighted points, but without the time consuming effort of the contour. Just apply a highlighter, such as Benefit’s High Beam, to the areas on your face you want to attract light to (i.e cheek bones, the bridge of your nose etc). Use a powder blush to make the highlights more subtle, but don’t use too much, as the more you drink the more your face will flush. Next, create a quick smokey eye by adding a light colour to your inner eye, a darker colour on your lid and a darker colour on the crease and outer corner. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try adding a touch of your darkest colour to the outer bottom corner of your eye. Finish with eyeliner on your upper lash and waterline, and a plumping mascara, such as Maybeline’s Falsies.

Outfit: Once again, a dress is best. However, it’s quite cold! Pair it with some nylons or tights and a jacket. For an edgier look, pair with booties and a leather jacket. For a sweeter, more girly look, pair with a pair of heels (yes with tights, but no open toed shoes… That’s like wearing socks and sandals) such as a black pair that matches the tights or a pair with a pop of colour. Complete with a dress coat.

If it’s too cold for a dress, try black jeans, a flattering top, and some heels with colour. Complete with that leather jacket or dress coat.

There never seems to be enough hours in the day, but at least when you’re juggling all of your obligations you can you can still look like a dime. The less time you spend getting ready, the more time you have to get things done! By cutting down in your makeup routine, you’ll cut down on product and your skin will thank you for that. Spending less time on your hair means rocking a more natural feel. When you’re in your natural state, you’re in your comfortable state. And comfort leads to confidence, and confidence is the sexiest thing a girl can wear. Own those sweatpants if you want and strut your 10 minute beauty routine. Remember collegiettes, you’re never fully dressed without a smile!

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.