Lancer Men Win OUA Track and Field Overall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

This past weekend, the Windsor Lancers hosted the OUA Track and Field Championships in the newly renamed Dennis Fairall Fieldhouse.  The events that took place on Day 1 included: Men’s Weight Throw, Women’s 1000m, Men’s 1000m, Men’s 60m Hurdles, Women’s 60m Hurdles, Women’s Pole Vault, Women’s 3000m, Men’s 3000m, Women’s Shot Put, Men’s Shot Put, Men’s Long Jump, Women’s Long Jump, Women’s Pentathlon, Men’s 300m, Women’s 300m, Women’s 4x800m, and Men’s 4x800m.

OUA records were recorded in both the Women’s and the Men’s 1000m by athletes from the University of Toronto.  Gabriela Stafford had a time of 2:44:18, and Sacha Smart had a time of 2:21:10.  Corey Bellemore of the Lancers came second in the 1000m with a time of 2:23:13.  Another OUA record was beaten by York’s Brittany Crew in the Women’s Shot Put with a put of 17.49.  Sarah Mitton of the Lancers placed second.  In the Men’s 300m, there was another OUA record broken by University of Toronto athlete Rayshaun Franklin (33.76)

The next event that found a Lancer athlete placing was Women’s Pole Vault with Rachael Wolfs who placed second.  Stephanie Smith of the Lancers placed third in the Women’s 3000m behind athletes from Guelph and Western.  Lancer athlete, Paul Janikowski placed first in the Men’s 3000m, while Eli Pawliw and Brett Boersma placed first and second respectively for the Men’s Shot Put.  Angelo Bortolin (Lancers) placed third in the Men’s Long Jump behind Western and Waterloo.  In the Women’s Long Jump, Lancer athletes Caitlin McClurkin and Emily Omahen, placed second and third.  The Lancers came first in the Men’s 4x800m relay.

The Lancers ended the day in first overall for Men’s and fourth for Women’s.

The events that were held on Day 2 of the OUA Track and Field Championships were Women’s 600m, Men’s 600m, Women’s Weight Throw, Men’s Triple Jump, Women’s High Jump, Women’s 60m Ambulatory, Women’s 60m, Men’s 60m, Women’s 4x200m, Men’s 4x200m, Women’s 1500m, Men’s 1500m, Women’s Triple Jump, Men’s Heptathlon, Men’s High Jump, Men’s Pole Vault, Women’s 4x400m, and Men’s 4x400m.

Four OUA records were broken on Day 2.  Brittany Crew, of York University, broke her second record this weekend with a throw of 18.75 in the Women’s Weight Throw.  Another record was broken in the Women’s 60m Ambulatory by Leah Robinson, with a time of 9.64.  Virginia Lachlan of the Lancers placed second.  Gabriela Stafford, University of Toronto, also broke her second record of the weekend with a time of 4:15:67 in the Women’s 1500m.  The last record broken during the OUA championship weekend was  in the Men’s 4x400m relay (3:17:06)by the University of Toronto.

Lancer athletes Corey Bellemore and Alex Ullman placed second and third in the Men’s 600m behind the University of Toronto.  Taylor McArthur and Paul Janikowski from the Lancers placed second and third in the Men’s 1500m.  The University of Windsor Lancers placed first, with a time of 1:28:74, in the Men’s 4x200m relay.  Branden Wilhelm placed second in the Men’s High Jump.  Both Chris Waugh (second) and Milos Savic (third) of the Lancers placed in the Men’s Pole Vault.  The Lancers placed in both the Men’s and Women’s 4x400m relay, with the Men placing second and the Women placing third.

The Lancer Men’s team won the Overall OUA championship, while the Women’s team placed fifth.  Congratulations to all athletes who medalled this weekend and good luck at CIS!

I am currently in my 4th year of Sport Management and a major whiskey enthusiast.  Not necessarily in that order.