katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Jordan Dekort: Proud to be a Lancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I was given the opportunity to interview Jordan Dekort, a student at the University of Windsor who recently transitioned from Toronto to Windsor. He is a 21 year old business major who is quite involved on campus! Jordan is a motivated student who aspires to achieve greatness through the University of Windsor. 

How has your transition from Toronto to Windsor changed your life as a student?

Growing up in such a big city is exciting; there is always something going on. When I decided to attend the University of Windsor I was familiar with the city, but I knew there would be an adjustment period. Comparatively, Windsor is a small city, which allows you to become a lot more embedded in the community. Now, into my second year I realize the opportunity that is present in making a real impact in this community. Windsor is a city that has gone through hard times and has a jaded reputation, as a student it is important to try to change that.

What is your major at the University of Windsor?

I am a Business major in my second year, who is planning on concentrating in finance.

What was your motive to enroll in Business?

In all honesty, when I enrolled in business I had no idea what I wanted to do in my life. To me, business was a major that opened a lot of options and had a lot of flexibility. After my first year I realized that I made the right decision.

How are you involved on campus?

I am part of the Odette Commerce Society. Specifically, I am a mentor in the the H.O.U.S.E. program. The H.O.U.S.E program is one of the most successful mentorship programs at the university. It provides first year students with a mentor who they can go to with questions they don’t know the answer to or they aren’t comfortable asking professors. The goal is to help make the transition as smooth as possible, and to motivate the first year students to get involved.

Once you graduate from school, what are your ambitions moving forward?

After graduating I hope to get an entry level job as a financial analyst. This is my plan as of now, but that could easily change in the next couple of years! I am also very inserted in the Entertainment industry, so working in the finance department of a T.V production company is something I am also very interested in.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

In all honesty, I have no idea. In ten years I will be 31 years old, which seems really old. By then hopefully I have a stable job with the ability to move up, but most importantly I want to enjoy what I’m doing. I want to go into work everyday and be excited and motivated to be the best I can be.

What do you value most about being a Lancer?

I value the opportunity to impact real change. As a student here you can have real impact in Windsor, and it is an awesome opportunity!

Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.