The Importance of Presence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

In class, at work, while reading… we all have those moments where we just seem to doze off into our own little world. Daydreaming is a beautiful thing sometimes – but not at the times when your presence is important.

The real question is: when are those times?

First off, school.

As a student, I always show up to class. However, showing up is only one part of the equation though. Actively listening and engaging in the course content of the class is the other part.

I understand that asking questions and answering them in class can be super awkward, and to be honest it isn’t essential to be fully present in the moment.

Presence is very important in those parts of life, but it’s even more important in the relationships you have.

You have to be very present in a relationship, whether that be with a family member, a significant other, or just a friend.

The more you engage in that relationship, the more it’ll blossom. The next time someone you care about goes to tell you about their day, you should make sure to listen and comment on what they’re saying. It feels good to be heard, so you have to return the favour and listen in order for the conversation to grow.

Although most of us already find ourselves present in the moment, especially in the moments that matter or with the people who matter most, sometimes we just need a reminder.

So take time to listen. Take time to talk. Take time to truly be present in a moment that matters.

The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence.

Amy N

UWindsor '21

Amy is a University of Windsor alumni. She loves to read, write, dance, eat chocolate, and organize anything she can get her hands on. Being bilingual, she developed a love for languages at a very young age.