Wellness

How to Prioritize Yourself this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The Holidays are one of my favourite times of the year, but it’s also the most chaotic. Between exams, Christmas shopping, and holiday parties, it can be easy to get burnt out quickly. To combat this, it’s important to prioritize your wellbeing during this hectic time. Here are my tips to make sure your wellbeing stays in check this holiday season.

Prioritize a Morning Routine

Even though it’s the holidays, and you can be flexible with your schedule, I believe that it’s still essential to stick with a morning routine. Sticking to a morning routine will help you  stay consistent as well as keep you motivated each day. It’ll also help to keep your sleep schedule regular as it tends to fluctuate due to the lack of sunlight we’re receiving. 

This morning routine doesn’t have to be extremely thorough either. When designing your holiday morning routine, I’d recommend including any morning habits that would be considered a non-negotiable task. For me, that’s typically journaling, writing a to-do list, and having a filling breakfast. Doing these three things each day in a certain time block helps me  look forward to each new morning. If you’re looking for ideas for your morning routine, here’s some suggestions:

• Read for 20 minutes
  • Morning skincare/shower
  • Drinking a morning tea/coffee
  •  Morning stretches/movement
  •  Listen to a podcast
  • No screen time for the first 30 minutes
Daily Self-Care Activities

I always feel better doing self-care activities, and I find they become more important during the holidays. Amidst all the chaos, taking those moments for self-care allows you to keep yourself in check and prioritize your wellbeing. My favourite part of self-care activities during this time of year is that they can be catered to the holidays, allowing for you to romanticize the season. Looking for holiday-themed self-care activities? Here’s some ideas.

• Bake a holiday treat (cinnamon buns, gingerbread cookies, etc.)
  • Cozy up by the fire with a good book (I’d suggest a Holiday themed rom-com, or if you’re looking for something more wintery, I’m currently reading Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone which is set at a ski resort allowing for those winter vibes)
  • Have a Holiday movie marathon (check out some of my faves here, or check out Dash and Lily if you’re looking for a TV show format)
  • Go on a hot girl walk and look at the Christmas lights
  • Have a holiday themed pamper night
Set Aside Days to Relax

Before the holidays start ramping up, I like to set a few days before to be dedicated to just relaxing and resetting. Typically, I like to have one before the holiday party season and one after the holiday party season between Christmas and New Year’s. On these days I like to do self-care activities, tidy my space, and just take time to relax and not think about any to-dos and upcoming events.

Respect your Budget

As someone who really prioritizes my finances, I don’t like sacrificing my budget during the holiday season. I find November and December can feel stressful when it comes to money, so here’s what I like to do to keep my financials thoughts at ease:

• Prep a gift list with prices to let myself know in advance what I’m spending
  • Don’t get takeout – I end up with plenty of leftovers anyway, so I try to avoid getting take out when I can
  • Look at other aspects of your budgets that can be adjusted for the month – this can be categories like entertainment and personal spending
Remain Present

Finally – and most importantly – make sure to take time to remain present during the holidays. While it’s often special, the last few months always tend to be the best months of the year. Amidst everything going on, make sure to take a moment to feel grateful for the season. Make sure to take time to chat with family and friends, romanticize the season, and enjoy all the experiences that the holiday aims to offer you.

Happy holidays and best of luck on final projects and exams!

Mya Bezaire is the Co-Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for overseeing all administrative aspects of the chapter, from member onboarding to article scheduling. Prior to this, Mya was the social media director (2021-2022), and she currently still helps with posting on social media. She also is a writer who’s content typically focuses around career development, entertainment, and self-care. Beyond Her Campus, Mya is a freelance digital marketer for her own business titled Market with Mya. As a freelancer Mya has worked with small-to-medium business clients based in Canada & the US to help elevate their digital presence through content creation, social media management, and design. Currently, Mya is a Senior at the University of Windsor in Communication, Media, and Film, with a minor in Information Technology. Mya is also the president of the Communication Student Association, where she oversees all marketing & events efforts to create a vibrant space for Communication Students on campus. In her free time, Mya loves immersing herself in TV and Film. She’s a reality TV junkie but also loves a good romcom or thriller-drama. She also loves prioritizing her wellness, and you can often find her journalling, listening to her fave podcasts & YouTubers, or going on a hot girl walk.