This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.
  1. Begin planning the semester a month ahead of its start date. Choose to take a full course load, but also apply to 3 separate part time jobs in order to pay for said schooling. Get an interview for all 3 positions and get all three jobs. Turn one down because you didn’t really want it anyway but accept the 2 you really wanted.
  2. Start the semester on a good foot. Realize you have more time than you expected and take on a volunteer position. Plan out each assignment and exam on your syllabus and feel prepared. 
  3. Do really well in your job and take on more shifts because you’re managing fine and who needs breaks anyway. Miss a couple of classes and shift around time meant for school to attend work. Work on assignments and study late into the night because you don’t have time during the day. 
  4. Start to feel exhausted because it’s been two months since you took a break. Realize you have no idea what’s going on in your class anymore due to missing a couple of classes, and being too exhausted to focus on them. Panic because your midterm is tomorrow and you desperately need to study. Study till 2am.
  5. Wake up at 7am tired and grumpy. Study till your midterm. Walk out of the exam with a 65. Realize to keep up your GPA you need to get an excellent grade on the assignments. Also realize that 4 of those assignments are due next week, that you haven’t started them, and that you somehow have to juggle classes, assignments, and work simultaneously while exhausted and having a mental breakdown.
  6. Reassure yourself there’s only 3 weeks left of classes. Realize there’s only 3 weeks left of classes before your exams.
  7. Cry.
  8. Congratulations! You have achieved burnout!
Bridget Heuvel

UWindsor '22

Bridget is a writer for Her Campus Windsor. She's an English Language and Literature student at the University of Windsor who has a love of chocolate, wandering at night, and all things literature.