Honour changes made by wartime women this Remembrance Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

With Remembrance Day coming up on Tuesday, November 11th, it is important to take a moment and think about the sacrifices made by men and women in the armed forces. Canada’s freedom has come at a high cost, but since the First World War, many positive changes have occurred for women in particular. It is empowering to know that these changes have not only been made for women, but they were also made by women.

During the First World War, women worked in factories, on airfields, and on farms, jobs which had previously been exclusive to men. They also built many vehicles and weapons for the war. This was the first time in Canadian history that women proved they were able to do the same jobs as men.

Not all women chose to work outside the home, but they were still able to help the war effort. They knitted socks, scarves, and mittens for soldiers overseas and helped refugees by providing clothing and centres for them. Women even planted “Victory Gardens” to supply food for their communities.

Some women played an extremely active part in the war. During the Second World War, from 1941-1942, women’s forces joined the Canadian military. For the first time, women were able to serve in uniform, and more than 50, 000 did so.

Women overseas who did not participate in the fighting assisted the Canadian forces by tending to the wounded. This was dangerous work, since they were often close to the front lines and within attacking-range. Canadian military nurses had officer status before nurses in any other Allied country.

Even after the First and Second World Wars, many women were active in the Canadian military during the Cold War and the Korean War. Then, in the late 1960s, the Canadian forces allowed women to take part in non-traditional roles. Since then, women have had the same combat opportunities and leadership roles as men.

All Canadian citizens enjoy today’s freedoms due to the efforts of men and women who fought for our country. Women especially owe thanks to those who were brave enough to challenge gender roles and forever change Canadian society as a whole.

This Tuesday, A Remembrance Day Ceremony will be held in front of Memorial Hall at 10:45 a.m.

Works Cited:

“Women and War.” Veteran Affairs Canada. Government of Canada, 23 Oct 2014. Web. 8 Nov 2014.      

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.
Lucy Hopkins is pursuing a career in public relations whilst studying Communications at McMaster University.