This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Meet Samantha “Sam” Boulos, author of the beauty blog “Glam by Sam” and HC Windsor writer. I had the pleasure of sitting down with her to talk about her experiences with makeup, artistry, and her recent trip to New York Fashion Week to do makeup for multiple up-and-coming designers.

Where did you become a certified makeup artist?

I became certified through a woman named Tamanna Roashan, she [hosts] “Dress Your Face”. She is a beauty educator and she teaches seminars and online classes, and I attended her seminar in Detroit last year. Up until then I was self-taught. A lot of what I know is [from] being self-taught and as far as being actually certified, it was through her.

Photo by Plitzs

Tell me about your first experiences with makeup.

Well I started wearing makeup probably when I was 12 or 13, so like grade 7. Horrible. Like I did not know what I was doing. I started watching YouTube videos probably in 2009, and I’d always kinda been into makeup, but my passion really grew when I saw other girls doing it. I was just really inspired. Ever since then I just kinda grew from there. Started collecting it and everything.

How do you come up with so many different looks?

Probably Instagram. I follow a lot more of… not like your everyday makeup, like your creative and bold makeup looks. I obviously am more on the natural side, but seeing those I get colour inspiration and that sort of thing.

Photo by Plitzs

Tell me about your most recent accomplishments, particularly in New York City.

So I teamed up with a fashion marketing brand, and they contacted me and asked if I would come to New York to do makeup. So basically, they work with about 30 designers. They gave me six makeup looks and I just had to practice them. I would be backstage and they would bring over a random model and say, “Do look number six” or, “Look number four.” Glitter lips were very popular. I did a few guys, which I was very nervous about because I had never really done makeup on guys but… it was really cool though!

You use a lot of Anastasia Beverly Hills in your looks. Why that brand?

I work for them. I am a freelance makeup artist for them. Although it is kind of biased I do love their brand. They’re very family oriented. Anastasia herself and her daughter actually created the brand. They’re not owned to anybody; it’s just them that run everything, formula and everything. So I’m very inspired by them and I enjoy working for them.

What other brands do you like? Anything drugstore?

I love L’Oreal and Maybelline. They’re owned by Estee Lauder so they do have those type of ingredients in them, the higher end. But they’re very affordable and they make great products.

Photo by Plitzs

Do you have any tips for us average appliers?

Practice! YouTube again is probably the best. Follow tutorials, keep practicing, and anything can be done. I know that winged liner is something people struggle with. Just practice makes perfect, definitely.

Do you have any beauty blogging idols?

Definitely again Tamanna Roashan, she’s Instagram. YouTubers: I like Chloe Morello, she’s from the UK. I like Carli Bybel, those type of girls. A lot of YouTubers – I like YouTube.

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.