Life > Experiences

Fun Dinner Activities You MUST Try With Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who eat to live and those who live to eat. I am definitely the latter! I am always in my kitchen cooking or baking and I have so many recipes saved on my phone. I just love when a meal hits the spot. I am salivating just thinking about it! Another thing I love is hanging out with my friends and my boyfriend. Usually when we hang out we’ll just order some fast food or whip up something quick, and there is not anything wrong with that, but I know we can get more creative than that. So here are some fun dinner ideas you can try next time you get together with your friends or loved one!

1. The 4 Course Meal Challenge

On those nights where you and your company cannot agree on where to eat, I suggest trying out the 4 course meal challenge. I have seen this challenge all over the internet. Depending on how many people you have you can play rock paper scissors, roll a die, or even flip a coin. Whoever wins gets to pick what you have for that respected round. Round 1 is drinks, round 2 is appetizers, round 3 is entrées, and round 4 is dessert. This sounds like such a fun idea because you don’t need to decide between getting a slice of pizza or a burger since you can end up getting both. You can also either get everything from the grocery store to make, pick things up from a fast food place, or get creative and just use what you have at home.

2. SkipTheDishes Swap

I heard about this idea from a friend of mine and I thought it was so cool. The first thing you do is set a budget. Then, if you’re with a group of people, everyone picks a name out of a hat and you have to buy dinner for whoever you pick. If you are only with one other person then you’d just buy for each other. Finally, you order food for your person on the food delivery website of your choice, or you can go and pick it up for them! I honestly would only recommend you do this with people that you know because otherwise you may end up getting something you don’t like. The really neat thing about SkipTheDishes Swap is that this can easily be done on an online video call if you aren’t able to physically meet up with your partner or friends; just make sure you send the food to the right address!

3. Name Potluck

For this idea, the more people the better! It’s pretty self explanatory as well, you have to bring a dish that begins with the same letter as your first name. Depending on what letter you have, this can be super simple or pretty challenging, but the idea is to have fun and get creative! For example, my name is Olivia and I could bring something like orange chicken or orange frosted cupcakes.

4. Cooking Night

I totally understand how this may not sound as exciting as the other options but hear me out! You and your group need to scavenge through books and websites to find the perfect recipe! Bonus points if it is something you have never made before. Make a list of what you already have and what you’ll need to get. Head to the grocery store and grab everything you need; while you’re there, pick out something for an appetizer or a special dessert as well. The activity is cooking so you may as well have some fun with it! Put some music on to dance around to and make sure to get some pictures as well. Cooking a meal from scratch can be a lot of work and stress, but  the company of others makes it worthwhile.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!