This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I have always felt that I haven’t had a chance to go out and explore the city, even though I’ve grown up here. So, over the summer, my friend and I planned to visit a restaurant we haven’t been to before every couple of weeks. In doing so, I have found some of my new favourite places, many that I have brought others to because both the service and food were fantastic. Here are my top 5 restaurants that are perfect for the foodie in all of us:

1. Bubi’s Awesome Eats

Price: $$-$$$

Location: 620 University Ave. W

For all the garlic lovers out there, this is the restaurant for you! Bubi’s Awesome Eats is located on University Avenue, and it appeared on The Food Network! The food ranges from burgers, sandwiches, and more. If you are planning on going here, I highly recommend the garlic bread!

2. Skippy’s Restaurant

Price: $

Location: 954 University Ave. W

If you’re looking for tasty homestyle meals at reasonable prices, and a location within walking distance from campus, make sure to check out Skippy’s on University Avenue. The best time to visit is definitely in the morning when you can get eggs served any style, thick Belgian waffles, or fluffy omelets. 

3. Factory House

Price: $$-$$$

Location: 5240 Tecumseh Rd. East

This is the perfect place to take a couple of friends out for food, for either a casual lunch or a nice dinner. Located on Tecumseh Road East, it’s hard to miss–decked out in giant gears and with strings of shining lights. There is something for everyone here, with vegetarian-friendly, vegan, and gluten-free options. 

4. Suzie’s Grill Cafe

Price: $-$$

Location: 150 Ouellette Pl Suite 120

If you are looking for a good brunch resurgent, you should make a stop at Suzie’s Grill Cafe, located on Ouellette Pl Suite. Decorated in an old Italian setting, this is definitely a hidden gem. The food ranges from large breakfasts to various lunch options, and the service is always quick and helpful. If you are planning on going, make sure it is not during a “busy” time, like between 12 to 1pm, as the place fills up quick!

5. Roast N’ Toast Family Diner

Price: $

Location: 2005 Ottawa St.

If you couldn’t tell from this list, I’m a big fan of mom and pop family diners, and Roast N’ Toast Family Diner is no different. First off, you are wrapped in history, from the wall hangings to the various childhood artwork that decorates the wall. The servers treat you like regulars, and the homestyle cooking is delicious. If you are anywhere near Ottawa Street, make sure to stop in for a bite. As an added bonus, if you keep your receipt, you get a discount at Juniper Books, which is just across the street!

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.