Exploring Windsor: Bookstore Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Have you ever just wanted to surround yourself in books but not travel to one of the large-chain bookstores? Well, look no further than these hidden gems of independent bookstores located in Windsor! With their combination of used and new books, there is bound to be something for everyone! 

Juniper Books

Now, located at 1990 Ottawa St, this is one of my favourite used bookstores, mostly due to the fact that it is literally a house full of books! Imagine your entire house FILLED with books, and that is Juniper Books. This store holds all kinds of books, including classics, cookbooks, spirituality, and if you are really looking around, you can find the secret hideaway that holds the erotica novels. If you are planning on going here, you may want to set aside a few hours, because if you’re anything like me, you will want to look at all the books. 

Biblioasis

If you are looking for Canadian literature or local history, look no further than Biblioasis, located at 1520 Wyandotte Ave. E. They specialize in poetry, fiction, and non-fiction, have a wide collection of used books, but they tend to have a book for everyone. An added bonus is that they put on many reading events with many of the authors that they carry. If you ever have the chance, definitely stop in and take a gander at the shelves. 

Storytellers Book Store

This independently-owned bookstore carries a lot more than just books. With puzzles, games, toys, and of course books, there is something here for all ages. Located at 1473 Ottawa Street, you can easily spend hours here just browsing the shelves, looking at everything they have. 

PB Books

Located at 3947 Tecumseh rd east, PB books is best known for their collection of used books ranging in genres from mystery to sci-fi and everything in-between. Their stock is always changing due to their in-store credit system, so every time you visit, you will always find something new!

Goodwill Bookstore

While normal Goodwill stores have a small section left for books, this Goodwill, located at 298 Lauzon Rd, is specifically packed full of books! Divided into 2 parts, one section with novels the other with coffee table type books, all of these are reasonably priced. So, if you are ever in the area, make sure to stop by! They have amazing sale days, and new books are always coming in, so you never know what you may find. 

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.