Exam Season Struggles People with High-Functioning Autism Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Anyone with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder knows how difficult coping can be with the stress of finals. Here are five struggles that are way too real:

1)      The Meltdowns

Described as something that “looks like a full-blown rage or tantrum episode, [a meltdown] may actually be the accumulation of a lot of little stressors and anxieties bubbling up as reactions to different events” (Borgman). Meltdowns can be upsetting or scary to both the person having the experience and the onlookers. As if the episode itself weren’t bad enough, coming down from one can feel even worse due to embarrassment and a kind of after-shock. Even though friends and family are often very understanding, increased meltdowns make the end of term far from “the most wonderful time of the year.”

2)      Increased Sensitivity

People on the Autism Spectrum have hypersensitivity. For non-autistic people to understand, Erin Clemens, from the blog I Have Aspergers, puts it like this:

“You’re driving down a multi-lane highway at 75 mph with lots of intersections, all the windows down, it’s pouring rain, the radio is on full blast, there are         crazy drivers all around you, you are running late, you are lost, the sun is in your eyes, you just passed a truck that kicked dust up all around, and there are sirens coming from somewhere you can’t tell. With a passenger talking to you.”

For people who are high-functioning, sensory overload is usually something that can be kept under control for the most part. However, the increased stress of finals lowers the ability to filter sensations and awareness of them to increase. Hence, meltdowns.

3)      Difficulty Focusing

This branches off of “Increased Sensitivity.” Sensory overload makes concentration extremely difficult. Not being able to sit and focus on work leads to frustration, more stress, more sensitivity, and as a result, more trouble concentrating. It’s a deadly cycle.

4)      Perfectionism

As stated by WedMD, many people with high-functioning autism pay more “attention to detail and focused interests.” While this can often be helpful with assignments and result in higher grades, it can also lead to increased anxiety.

5)      Withdrawing Socially

Individuals on the Autism Spectrum knows how difficult social interaction can be. Dealing with all of the previously mentioned stress can make social situations seem too exhausting to deal with. Exam Season creates this type of equation in high-functioning autistic minds:

Situation A:

Go to the social thing + be awkward = don’t have a good time

Situation B:

Don’t go to the social thing + be awkward = don’t have a good time

This doesn’t mean that social situations won’t happen or that they won’t be fun, but this is often how the thought process goes.

For anyone with Autism Spectrum Disorder, these struggles and many more are very real. Remember to turn to your support system or go to the University of Windsor’s Disability Services for any extra help you may need.

Works Cited:

Borgman, Stephen. “Aspergers Adults Signs and Symptoms Explained.” Thrive with Aspergers. Thrive with Aspergers, n.d. Web. 02 Dec 2016.

Clemens, Erin. “Hypersensitivity.” I Have Aspergers. Erin Clemens, n.d. Web. 02 Dec 2016.

WebMD. “Asperger’s Syndrome – Symptoms.” WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 02 Dec 2016.

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.