This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Winter is distinctly creeping around the corner, and apart from the chilly outdoors, we know winter has arrived from our dry hands, feet, skin and worst of all- lips. There are so many lip products on the market ranging from balms, butters, chapsticks and on. No doubt, this wide selection can often become overwhelming, which is why creating your own lip treatment will not only save you the trouble of pacing up and down an aisle for an hour, but it is very affordable as the ingredients can be found in your home. You can sleep easy knowing that there are no added preservatives and harmful chemicals! So, if you are interested in learning how to create this simple lip scrub that will have your lips feeling smooth and hydrated, keep on reading!

Ingredients:

• small jar/container with a lid

• ½ tablespoon of coconut oil (softened)

• 1 tablespoon of brown sugar

• juice from ½ of a lemon

Step #1: In a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and slowly stir in ½ tablespoon of coconut oil. The brown sugar in this scrub will act as an exfoliant which will remove any dead skin cells and dry areas, leaving your lips with a smooth feel. Once the sugar has removed the top layer of the skin, the coconut oil then will act as a hydration engine, adding back any moisture that was stripped from the lips.

Step #2: Once your oil and sugar have created a mixture, squeeze in some lemon juice from ½ a lemon. Adding lemon into this scrub will not only add some flavour to the scrub, but will also brighten and hydrate, leaving even toned and soft lips.

Step #3: Now that our mixture is complete, it should look more on the grainy side and not too liquidy. If your mix does have a liquid or oily consistency, just add some more sugar and you are good to go. Next, put your mixture into any jar or container you have that has a lid. Make sure your lid is on tight between every use as this will avoid it from drying out and hardening.

Step #4: When using the scrub, make sure you have no product on your lips prior to it. Apply the scrub on dry lips and using your finger, rub the scrub around your lips in circular motions, until your lips feel stripped of any dry skin. Rinse off with warm water and apply a lip balm or moisturizer to further lock in the hydration. Now, your lips should feel “on fleek” and you are completed with the scrub.

I recommend using this scrub 1-2 per week, depending on how dry your lips are. This scrub makes a great DIY gift, especially for the holidays! I hope you all enjoyed this DIY scrub, until next time, HC Readers, Xo.

Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.