Dana Cushing: A Double Sided Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

For this Remembrance Day, Her Campus was able to acquire an interview with a US veteran. This brave Marine has taken the time from her busy schedule to share her experiences with us.  Her name is Corporal Dana Cushing and she has quite the tale to tell us about her involvement and her personal feelings about being within and outside the military’s service.   

When did you join the military and what branch?

DC – June 2001, United States Marine Corps‎ – technically I joined the Reserve, but after 9/11 I was volunteered for active duty. First, I transferred to a collocated unit (that means you all work on the same base and usually you all know each other) so I could deploy with my friends; I wasn’t going to stay behind especially being a Marine! After that, I became an Individual Augment (IA) which means that units needing your skills can request you to deploy with them. Since I had already worked in Iraq, for my second and third deployments I was requested for specific jobs that weren’t normally available for enlisted women.

How long did you serve?

‎DC – 5 years.

Can you explain in a short phrase what the experience was like?

‎It’s kind of a cliché but it’s true – it’s mainly stretches of “same things different day” punctuated by periods of overwhelming intensity. (Groundhog Day is a very popular movie in NATO for a reason…)

Would you mind telling us why you left?

DC – Unfortunately, I had a series of physical injuries over my three deployments (2003-2005) that never healed properly. Also, I had suffered a brain injury ‎- the difference between combat stress and traumatic brain injury wasn’t understood until recently, so I knew something had gone really wrong but not why or how to fix it. However, the Canadian Forces will find you a job you can do in garrison and keep you for as long as you can contribute. I think that’s very sensible – not just for the person, but because their training and knowledge will carry on to the next generation (aka institutional memory). The Americans can learn from that.  ‎So, while I was glad of the Americans’ opportunities,  I wished that I’d had the benefit of the Canadians’ attitude because there’s still so much I could do.

What have you done since you left the service?

DC – When I was in Iraq the second time, I began translating a medieval chronicle – just to have something else to focus on besides running the base (world’s largest military air station, 3rd largest/busiest airport in the world that year) and doing female engagement (as it’s called now). It took a long time but it was published in 2013 and I was very proud it received ten nominations for academic awards. It’s the first major work in Crusades history to be published digitally and traditionally.

Click the following link to view it: www.antimony.biz/DeItinereNavali.htm

Also, I was able to obtain four certificates toward my Arabic translator diploma, and I graduated summa cum laude in Intelligence Operations (when combat jobs officially opened for women, those of us who hadn’t been allowed into the schools were able to certify through military-civilian colleges so that we could still compete for careers).

‎How do you feel about the services given to veterans?

DC – It’s a really bad idea to put the same people who are in charge of paying your pension and education expenses, also in charge of ‎your medical care. It’s cheaper to kill off or neglect a veteran until they leave the VA system, especially the OEF/OIF generation.

‎In 2006, when I was medically retired,  the unemployment insurance lasted 3 months, but the federal disability and veterans’ disability pensions took 3 years to come, so you were on your own in the middle… And there’s nothing for women except segregation and abuse in the Veterans Administration hospitals – I’ve been assaulted, told “go back to Canada if you’re that worried about your little female problem” which turned out to need a surgery to fix, and told I should “just get married so you’ll have a husband to share the burden of you being disabled.”. Yes really….

Fortunately, the military provides service-disabled veterans with insurance but I’ve been “itinerant” a few times now because of problems getting treatment paid or paid back… at least I’m not sitting in a wheelchair in front of the TV like the VA told me to do. That’s not a quality of life – I’m a Marine so I’ll fight, and I’m proud that my hard work is paying off to help me be as healthy and productive as I can.

How do you feel about the services held on Remembrance Day?

DC – In the USA, it’s Veterans’ Day and, weirdly, it’s become more like a holiday, like Memorial Day. Hopefully, I’ll get to a point where I can do the public stuff but it feels very fake, everyone showing respect that 1 day and hating on you the other 364..

George Orwell had it right about this:  

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

The Canadian and British services on Remembrance Day feel more meaningful and look more respectful.‎

Do you have any advice or tips for people who wish to join the military?

DC – Speak with some veterans and make sure it’s really what you want to do. It’s called a profession because it involves much more than fancy dress and 9-5.  And you’re not invincible so I’d say, ignore the movies and really think hard about what the veterans tell you.

Also, think about how your capabilities, skills and personality will fit into the branch and the job you want. And then pick the best force to make the most of your opportunity – most NATO countries will help you join their military if you’re good enough. Obviously, Canadians should prefer the Canadian military. Make sure to cultivate your non-military self off-duty, and to keep learning while you’re on-duty, and you’ll do well. It gives you amazing resilience and resourcefulness, so if you can do the military then you can do anything you choose in life afterward.