Confessions of a Napping Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If there was an award for napping, I think I’d be wearing that crown right now. For me, naps are literally bae. It’s just such a beautiful thing. I mean anything in life can be solved by taking a nap. Feeling stressed? Nap. Tired? Nap. Sick? Nap. My life is not complete without a nap at least once a day, no matter how long or short. So here I am proudly saying, hi, my name is Simran, and I am a Napping Queen.

Confession #1: I wake up in the mornings and I create a schedule for the day so I know that I have time for a mid-afternoon nap. I spend my time working hard and staying productive because the sooner I finish my work, the faster I can get some shut eye. This is the only way I am able to get myself up from my morning slumber.

Confession #2: I have cancelled plans one too many times because of nap time. What can I say, I love being cuddled up in bed and just drifting off to La La Land.

Confession #3: I am a ruthless monster when I have to wake up from a nap. My family and friends are sadly given the task to wake me up because alarms are no good; I just sleep right through them. So, when they have to come in and tell me to get up, I tend to get a little vicious. But, the funny thing is that when I’m actually awake, I have no idea what I said or did. Sorry!

Confession #4: When I say, “I’ll just lay down for a few minutes” it’s actually code for “I’m passing out for 3 hours. Wake me at your own peril”. The problem with this kind of nap is that when I wake up, I’m beyond confused and a bit disoriented.

Confession #5: I am a pretty anxious person, so when life gets tough and I’m overwhelmed, I just take a nap. For some reason I believe that by the time I wake up the universe will have somehow made life less complicated. It obviously doesn’t, but it calms me down.

Confession #6: Napping can be done anywhere. Class, a couch, a chair, a desk, a bed, a car… it’s all the same to me.

Confession #7: Sometimes I try not to nap so I can power through some readings, but my body decides to just ignore my command and puts me to sleep anyway. There have been so many times that I’m working and I just tip over in bed (I like to take notes in bed) and pass out. When I wake up from these forceful naps, I don’t even know what century I’m in.

Confession #8: Most people like to go out after an exam to celebrate freedom, but I like to take a nice long nap to celebrate no more allnighters.

Confession #9: There have been times when I wake up from a nap and don’t remember if I actually meant to take a nap or if went to bed for the night. 

Confession #10: In certain classes I try so hard to pay attention, but all I can really think about is the nap I’m going to take later. Just knowing there is a nap to look forward to gets me through the class.

Confession #11: After eating a burrito, I NEED to take a nap. I swear burritos are like a sleeping drug for me, I actually can’t function after eating one. That’s why I always opt for a burrito bowl.

So there you have it! These are my confessions of being a Napping Queen, what are yours?

*Disclaimer: Featured image is not mine. Retrieved here.

Gursimran is a fourth year student at the University of Windsor pursing a BSc in Biological Sciences and a minor in Psychology. Gursimran spends much of her free time volunteering in her community, spending time with family and friends, travelling and writing for her personal blog. She aspires to be a lawyer and eventually dive into the world of Canadian politics. Gursimran is passionate about human rights and bringing positive change to the world. She is an active citizen and aims to inspire and empower the youth to get engaged in global issues and be young drivers of change. Follow Gursimran on Instagram and make sure to check out her blog, Sincerely Simran!