Concussions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Concussions.  This is likely word that you have heard a lot in the news lately, but do you really know what it is?  As defined by the Mayo Clinic, a concussion is a traumatic brain injury that alters the way that the brain functions. This is typically caused by a blow to the head or a blow to the body that would cause the neck and head to snap back and forth.  Concussions are a typical injury for contact sports, such as hockey and football, but can also occur in other sports, such as cheerleading, where the athlete can fall from heights, or get hit by a flying body. It was a common thought that to have a concussion a person must have lost consciousness, but this is not the case. The brain can receive damage without losing consciousness.

There are many signs and symptoms to tell if someone has a concussion.  Just like everyone has different brains, everybody shows different symptoms. The main ones are headaches, light/sound sensitivity, and problems with concentration, but others are problems with memory, balance, coordination, vomiting, blank stare, slurred speech, and strange/inappropriate emotions.  An athlete can exhibit any of these symptoms in any combination.  Headaches are typically exhibited in everyone, but an athlete can also exhibit symptoms that are not physically obvious to an outsider.  This is a huge thing for concussion detection, since athletes do not always inform someone if they are showing any of these symptoms, as they do not wish to follow the process.

For athletes there is a step-by-step return-to-play policy that they are to follow.  Each step has to be signed off by a doctor before the athlete can move forwards.  The first step post-diagnosis is Pure Rest.  This step involves rest in a dark room with zero physical activity.  Once the headaches subside, and the athlete receives clearance from the doctor, they move to Light Exercise.  This is where the athlete is permitted to do 10-15 minutes of light physical activity.  This activity can include walking and slow biking on a stationary bike.  When initially moving into this step, be sure that there is someone with you at all times, as this can be cause  of a large strain on the body.  If at any point during this exercise the headaches come back, the athlete is to move back to Pure Rest.  As long as the headaches stay away, the doctor can sign off on moving to Step 3: Sport-Specific Aerobic Activity.  This is where the athlete may return to his/her practices, for skating or running, but may not participate in ANY contact.  Once cleared by the doctor again, the athlete may participate in Full Practice, including all contact.  This is the last step prior to Full Play.  Each step should last a minimum of 24 hours.  In reality this process will likely take weeks, as even getting out of the first step is a hard, drawn-out process.  

There are after effects of concussions that not everybody is aware of.  Concussions can permanently alter the way that a person lives their life.  A lack of concentration and memory issues are some of the main permanent symptoms of Post-Concussion Syndrome, but a lack of motor function can also occur.  Anxiety and depression are also more common in athletes that have suffered from concussions.  The more concussions that an athlete gets increase their likelihood of having permanent, life altering side effects.

I am currently in my 4th year of Sport Management and a major whiskey enthusiast.  Not necessarily in that order.