ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Christmas on a Student Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

It’s that time of year again and if you know what it feels like to live on a student’s budget, then you know how it feels to shop on a student’s budget. Big families and friends at university means that you have a lot of people on your shopping list and if you want to cross them all off your list but don’t have a lot of money, here are some great tips:

Enter Some Contests

Around Christmas, a lot of companies host contests where you can win things like Crochet Tea Cozies or a Holiday Vacation package. While you might have more luck winning some contests over others, depending on the participation, it’s worth a shot. You never know what you might get AND it’s all free for you. As well, the person you give this gift to will really appreciate the effort you put in.

Homemade Gifts

Children have been making gifts for their families since the beginning of PreSchool, but let’s be honest here, they had the right idea. Go on Pinterest, pick out your favourite ideas and get to it. It  will cost you less time and money than a trip to the mall would. And, personal touches will warm the recipients’ hearts.

Regift (ONLY IN SOME CASES)

Normally, no one would advocate for regifting. But, if you’re participating in a Secret Santa and you have something barely or never used sitting around the house, give it to them. At least someone will get some use out of it.  Also, clothes that you don’t want anymore can be great presents to either gift to charity or to your friends and family that admire your style. Remember, they’ll feel better with getting a present like this as opposed to one that breaks the bank.

Live for the Sales

Christmas can get expensive. There’s nothing worse than finding the perfect present and then looking at the price tag and crying.  Keep your eye out online and in the stores for when the Christmas sales are coming out. Take advantage of them because some sales go up to 50 % off. You can get some wonderful gifts while staying within your budget.

Set a Budget

Before you go out to the store, create a budget. Decide who you’re buying for and how much you’re willing to spend on everyone. Then, brainstorm some gifts that you think each individual would enjoy but that also fall within the price range.  Going with a plan in mind always helps. That way, there won’t be any surprises when you get your credit card bill a few weeks later.

Make it an Experience

If you can’t afford to buy an inanimate gift, take your friends or family to a place they’ll never forget. Invite them out for a free skate or take them hiking down your favourite trail. Spending time together can be just as great of a gift as a “regular” gift is.

Joint Presents

Maybe you have friends that are dating or you’re looking to get a gift for your parents. Cross both people off your list simultaneously by getting them a gift that they both love and can share. Honestly, most friends and family members are in awe that you even think about them at all and are willing to buy them presents with money that could be used for food or going downtown.