This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Can you Spot the Double Major?

To most students, it can be easy to simply move through the crowds of people, but have you ever stopped and actually looked at the faces passing by you? If you took the time to stop and gaze on the many faces that you cross every day, you might be able to recognize the somewhat elusive double major. If one really wishes to spot one, it can be done as they do have several distinguishing features that single them out from the more common single major.

To find the hard-to-see double major, you will have to use many, if not all, of your skills. First, you will have to recon many unusual or unfamiliar areas of the university. Most would think to just look in the library, but while that might be true, you will most likely find them stashed away in any building that has a table and a power socket. They prefer to be in the corners or on the edge of the rooms to avoid any unwanted contact or simple distractions. 

Second, you will need to travel to your university’s local cafeteria. Once there, you will see the average student consuming a regular sized portion of food.  But if you observes more closely, you will be able to see the double major engorging themselves on what looks like an average meal for a family of four. The reasoning behind this is a double major has a very hectic class schedule and doesn’t have time for regular meals, so they must consume almost impossible meal portions and hope it lasts them till the end of the day.

Lastly, the awkward conversations about courses can put the double major students on display.  Regular students can gather during the class selection days and talk about which electives they wish to take with each other. For a double major, however, the word elective is a foreign concept that seems like a far- off fantasy. Once a student accepts the challenge of being a double major, all their courses are written in stone and can only be changed by switching into another program or becoming a single major.

On a less satirical note, being a double major doesn’t make you become this uncontrollable eating machine with no social life and horrible conversational skills. It might seem terrifying when they explain how much work they need to do compared to your studies but remember- they made this choice on their own. It can be hard but it is very doable.  Most of the students you see on campus are trying to accomplish a double major and whether they complete their studies is decided on the choices and actions they make throughout their academic journey.  Although, if you do see people crying openly, don’t be afraid to approach them; they are probably just feeling a little overwhelmed by the sudden realization of how much work they have to do.

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.