Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Breaking the Barrier: Free Menstrual products in schools.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.
Tampons
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

Growing up, everyone got their first period, which was considered a huge deal. One could say you were entering womanhood. At the age of twelve, in seventh grade, I got my first period. At home, my mother taught me how to use menstrual products and not to panic. I was prepared for my first period.

As a twenty-year-old woman, I look back on how little education I received about period care and puberty. My grade school never taught me how to use a pad or a tampon.

But what about students who don’t know how to use menstrual products at the time of their period? Or, what if they don’t have any menstrual products on hand? The issue with the lack of free period care is how it is increasing the stigmatization of periods.

Teachers who supply free period care do limit barriers but also create more anxiety. To obtain menstrual products, students need to ask first; as someone who has done this before, it causes a feeling of humiliation and induces fear just to ask. The thoughts of judgment did cost my mind when I was asking my grade seven teacher for a pad.

Walking to get period care is a struggle, and trust me, I’ve done it before. Walking across campus to get free tampons and pads at the womxn’s centre is stressful. A free dispensary in the bathroom allows quick access and no accidents.

Allowing free menstrual products in schools limits the effects of period poverty. When I’m on my period, tampons cost 15-18$ for a box of 24. As a full-time student, this can be costly. Students who cannot afford period care create barriers dividing women into distinct groups.

Pads
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

The Womxn’s Centre

The Womxn’s Centre on campus is a gender-inclusive organization offering free menstrual products for those who need them! The room is in the Student Centre (CAW), room 208. For any UWindsor student who needs it, their Instagram is @womxnctr

Hi everyone, Madison Traquair (Maddy) is one of the writers here at Her Campus UWindsor. Maddy is responsible for writing biweekly articles for her chapter. Prior to joining HC, Maddy was (and still is) a full-time student studying at the University of Windsor.Maddy loves to write about her life as a student, selfcare, movies, and entertainment. Maddy is also involved with the psychology student’s association (PSA). In the PSA, Maddy is the financial coordinator, meaning that she is responsible for direct deposits and the club’s money management/ funds. Beyond Her Campus involvement, Maddy works in landscaping and nannying children. She loves to devote her time towards helping children and putting a smile on their faces. Currently, Maddy is a senior at the University of Windsor, studying full time honours sociology with a minor in psychology and geography. In her free time, Maddy loves being outside and staying active. She loves spending her free time rollerblading, running, and going to the gym. Maddy also has an artistic side. She loves to paint and draw, specifically fashion designs. Maddy also likes to prioritize her mental health by doing selfcare. You can find Maddy around being a social butterfly, always meeting new people and hanging out with her friends. Maddy is always down for stepping out of her comfort zone and trying new things.