This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Recently, several news outlets have started highlighting the Black Lives Matter movement and the doings of corrupt and unjust cops. These cops lack adequate training and have preconceived racist notions that result in the deaths of innocent BIPOC citizens. It is important to mention that BLM is not a “new” movement and not a “social media trend.” We must do better as a society and continue to educate ourselves and actively work towards supporting these communities against racism and hateful ideology. While Breonna and Floyd never got justice, they’re not the only ones who died unjustly. Here are some petitions that you need to check out and sign to advocate for the innocent lives that were lost: 

1)    Jacob Blake

Blake was shot by the Wisconsin police officers (7 times!) after trying to resolve a fight that had broken out. He was unarmed and did survive; however, the cops still need to be charged for this unjust and inhumane behaviour.  What’s worse is that Jacob Blake’s children saw this attempted murder, which is very traumatic and can affect their development and bodily integrity.

2) Lakeith Smith 

Smith was charged with the murder of his friend (A’Donte Washington) and was wrongly imprisoned when he was 15. In reality, his friend actually died when police officials fired bullets which resulted in his death.  Smith and a few other boys were participating in break-ins of homes in 2015; however, when a shoot-out broke out between a police l officer and Washington, Smith was charged. He now faces 65 years in prison which is unjust considering he did not participate in the act.  This police officer should be brought to justice. 

3)    Kendrick Johnson 

This case is simply horrifying! Kendrick’s body was found up rolled up in a gym mat (clearly suggesting some sort of cover-up) and it took a day to find his body. Upon performing an autopsy, it was found that Kendrick had suffered a blunt force trauma which rules out an accident. More information is needed, and justice needs to be served. 

4)     Kwamae Jones

In January 2020, Kwamae was murdered by the police after a failed traffic stop. There was a car crash and multiple shots were fired in the car. His mother was not allowed to see his body for over two weeks and there was no body-cam footage that was released. The police failed to inform his mother about his death – an innocent 17-year old. Something is clearly wrong and very suspicious about the way this case was handled. 

5)    Sandra Bland

Sandra Bland was arrested for a traffic stop after a racist and corrupt police official physically assaulted her. She committed “suicide” in a jail cell after hanging herself with a garbage bag. However, in the video filmed by Bland, the police officer is heard expressing threats and Bland’s cell was not visible from security cameras in the facility where she was held. Her family also does not agree with suicide being the cause of death and the evidence is contradictory. It’s been over 5 years since Bland died – she needs justice yesterday. 

6)      Tamir Rice

Tamir, a beautiful baby boy ONLY 12-years old, was shot by the Cleveland police officer after playing with a toy gun. He was shot within seconds of this incompetent cop arriving at the park – the car had not even stopped before shots were fired into the playground killing Tamir. There was camera footage of this murder and this family lacks justice. Tamir would have been in undergrad now had he not been shot. 

These are just a few cases that need justice. There are thousands of cases that still need to be reopened. Many BIPOC are forced to film their encounters with racist cops in order to earn even the tiniest bit of justice (and even then many of them never get justice). Do kids need to carry cameras with them to film their murderers? Should Black citizens kiss their families goodbye every time they leave their houses? Should Black families have to give their kids the “talk” – keep your hands where they can see you, always have your ID visible, and never reach for anything? Absolutely not. In today’s day and age, we MUST continue to hold racist people accountable, shout and display our support for this important cause, and continue educating ourselves. Black Lives Matter and will always matter.    

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.