Life > Academics

Becoming Your Best Self While Focusing on School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re saddened by how fast the summer flew by but equally excited to be able to take on the new semester with power. Let’s key in on the statement “if you’re anything like me”. Because if you are, this motivation and sense of power dwindles as the week, days, and minutes go on and as the stress of the new semester grows.

WELL… GUESS WHAT? I’ve compiled a list of ideas and habits to adopt in order to become your best self (whatever that means for you) while focusing on school and/or whatever goals you have in mind! I challenge you to be the guinea pig for this experiment (alongside me, of course) in order to try some of these ideas, and report back at the end of the semester to see how well they worked!

Here are 5 ideas/habits to unleash your best self:

1. Evaluate yourself.

This one might seem a little tedious, but reflection is key for several things in life. Reflect on when you have felt the most successful or accomplished in your life thus far. What was different? Were you more active, happier, getting better sleep, surrounded by better people, or just in a better space? What can you change right now to get one step closer to how you felt then? Becoming aware of what pushes you to become your best version will ultimately guide you in that direction.

2. Pay it forward.

We want to focus on school and be the best students we can be. We want to be successful. We also want to be the best versions of ourselves in this chaotic time. So, yes, while we reward ourselves for the hard work we put in, we must also pay it forward. The best way to stay focused on a goal is to also share what you learn through the process. Create study groups or friendships with people who genuinely care about you and wish to grow with you. Work with people who focus with you and share the feedback on both parts (constructively and positively).. As you grow and see those around you grow in partnership, the better you will feel and the deeper your focus will become.

3. Create a balance.

Of course, school is important. Your goals are important. You will achieve all that you have worked for. But if we drain ourselves, it becomes a slow and painful process. Creating a balance is so important in refreshing and restarting ourselves to work towards our goals efficiently. Plan fun activities during your study breaks, go out with friends on the weekends when you’re able, pursue your hobbies, and make time for yourself! Create a healthy balance between your work and studies, as well as making time for your relationships. Get some physical activity, meal plan for a healthy diet, and ensure you get adequate sleep each night!

4. Identifying your boundaries.

It is very crucial to identify your boundaries not only in your personal life and relationships, but with your work and school as well. Plan your days and check in with yourself. When will your study period start and end? When will you create time for yourself and practice self-care? If you respectfully set these boundaries with yourself, the people in your life will easily follow suit. You will develop a better relationship with yourself and others as they begin to admire your work ethic and the boundaries you create to respect your time, as well as to make time for them.

5. Be kind to yourself.

This one’s a given. Be kind to yourself! We are human – there will be times when you are discouraged, unmotivated, frustrated, exhausted, and burnt out. Give yourself credit for how far you have come. Validate your emotions and understand that it is okay to feel the way you are feeling. Take time to feel and remind yourself that this is not forever. Be grateful for the opportunities that you are given! Being kind to yourself will ultimately help you in being kind to others. Would you be as harsh to a stranger as you are to yourself?

Now, I know a lot of this list may feel like a given. However, we subconsciously tend to ignore so many of these things when we’re stressed and panicked. Next time you feel overwhelmed as you work towards your goals, take some time to reflect! I hope this list gives you some food for thought throughout your busy lives. The biggest factor in becoming the best version of yourself is making time for yourself and learning who you are. You’ve already got the power it takes within you. All you have to do is find the key and start the engine!

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!