This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Since 2017, I have been looking forward to the November-to-December switch each year. I yearn for the morning when I open Spotify to turn on one of my many playlists and am met with a bright rectangle: Spotify Wrapped. I think this is my true roman empire because I think about this time of the year almost every single day.

Not a day goes by that I don’t listen to music or a podcast on Spotify. I can be getting ready, cleaning, or even at work, and I will have a playlist going. I also always have music going in the car; whether it’s a three-minute trip or a three-hour trip, Spotify allows me to download my playlists so I can listen to them anywhere.

With this year coming to a close and another glorious Spotify Wrapped for the books, I figured it was time that I give Spotify the thanks that it deserves.

I want to thank Spotify for keeping me accountable for what I am listening to. I don’t necessarily forge my data results in hopes of getting a good Spotify Wrapped, but oh goodness is it a good reminder for me to not listen to my guilty pleasure songs all the time! With Spotify Wrapped I can make sure to not listen to the Heathers soundtrack on repeat all the time. Thankfully Spotify now has a feature where the consumer can hide a song from their analytics. As someone who loves to listen to lo-fi music when I study, that new feature is a blessing since my Wrapped won’t be affected by my study music.

I also need to thank Spotify for not tracking every day of the year. Spotify stops their analytics between the end of October and the middle of November. Had Spotify decided to track the rest of November and December, my top song would have definitely been the Canadian classic “Twelve Days of Christmas” by Bob and Doug McKenzie. I know I’m not the only person who immediately goes to Christmas music after November 11th, so on behalf of all of us Spotify users who listened to an ungodly amount of Christmas music within a six week span, we thank you for not accounting that into our analytics.

Finally, I must thank Spotify for all of the work they do to make Spotify Wrapped so iconic and memorable. I always appreciate the coherent theming that Spotify does every year for Spotify Wrapped. There’s always a bit of a theme, and it always corresponds to each year. I love learning what my music sandwich is or that I’m a night owl or an alchemist, whatever that means. I just always learn so much about myself and always end up making my Wrapped my whole personality for the rest of the year.

It is companies like Spotify that keep the world moving. Spotify Wrapped is an experience that any user can use as it isn’t behind a paywall. Spotify also does its best to stay affordable by offering student discounts and duel or family plans. I know that I will forever be indebted to Spotify as it is solely responsible for adding the fuel to my fiery passion for music. I cannot wait to see what next year has in store for the world of Spotify.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!