This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Crime shows have always been popular, even sparking conversation about if shows like CSI impact a jury’s expectation for forensic evidence (which is aptly named the “CSI Effect”).

As a Forensics Major, it’s pretty obvious I would enjoy watching shows centered around crime scene investigation, criminal procedures, and criminals in general. This also means that I’m more likely to point out flaws or inconsistencies in the shows, or random facts and statistics you couldn’t care less about.

So, if you also love crime shows or are just looking to expand your horizon, you’ve come to the right place.

Bones

This show was my first introduction into the world of forensics, so it’s only fair to include it on the list. Set in Washington D.C. in the Medico-legal lab at the fictional Jeffersonian institute, which is based off the Smithsonian, this show follows forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance Brennen, FBI agent Seeley Booth, and Dr. Brennen’s gang of forensic specialists.

This show is based on the book series by Dr. Kathy Reichs, who is a forensic anthropologist herself. Bones truly shows the variety of specializations within the field of forensics, from entomology and botany (the use of bugs and plants to determine time and place of death) to reconstruction of crime scenes.

Bones does a phenomenal job at accurately portraying the techniques used in forensic investigations and explaining how and why something is done.

Bones is available for streaming on both Disney+ and Amazon Prime.

WHite COllar

White Collar is a classic example of reluctant partners. Starring Matt Bomer as Neal Caffery, a con-artist turned FBI consultant, and Tim DeKay as FBI agent Peter Burke, this series focuses on white collar crimes (hence the name), from forgeries to jewel heists.

TV shows with a focus on white collar crimes aren’t as popular as shows with scary criminals and brutal murders, but they make for a fun change of pace when you’re looking for a new show.

With six seasons and 81 episodes total, this show is perfect for those who are looking for a lighthearted, bingeable crime show with very little gore.

You can watch White Collar on Disney+.

Money heist (la casa de papel)

This Spanish crime show focuses on what goes on behind the curtains of a major heist. Money Heist follows the Professor, the brains of the two major heists, and his gang of criminals, who are all named after major cities.

This awarding-winning show will have you rooting for the bad guys as you follow every bump, twist, and turn in their road to riches.

With drama, romance, friendship, and mystery, Money Heist is perfect for your next late-night binge. You can watch all 5 parts of Money Heist, either dubbed or undubbed, on Netflix.

Lucifer

If you’re looking for a show about the Bible mixed with police procedure, look no further. After leaving his position as King of Hell, Lucifer ends up in Los Angeles, opens a nightclub, and starts working as a consultant for the LAPD.

Alongside Detective Chloe Decker, Lucifer works with forensic scientist Ella Lopez and Detective Dan Espinoza to solve a variety of crimes throughout LA.

With his ability to force the truth out of suspects using his divine powers (although I’m not sure how admissible the resulting evidence is), there’s never a dull moment in this show.

Lucifer is available to watch on Netflix.

iZOmbie

Have you ever wanted to watch a crime show with a different main character every episode? Well, iZombie is the show for you—sort of.

This show stars Rose McIver as Liv Moore, a resident-turned-zombie-turned-medical-examiner-assistant, and Rahul Kohli as Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti, Seattle’s Medical Examiner (or forensic pathologist for those of us in the know) extraordinaire.

Every time Liv eats a brain, she gains the unique thoughts and personality of the deceased. With this new-found power/curse, she works alongside Detective Clive Babineaux and Dr. Chakrabarti to solve crimes.

As cheesy as it sounds, this show gives a good view into the process of the scientific method.

If you’re looking for a crime comedy mixed with romance, iZombie is the perfect show for you and is available for streaming on Netflix.

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.