9 Sitcoms to Watch this Winter that Aren’t The Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Ask the average person what their favourite sitcom is and the answer is most likely The Office. Ask the average person for sitcom recommendations and the answer is again mostly The Office. While the show itself is extraordinary, with hilariously well written characters and memorable episodes, it’s a little exhausting hearing that over and over. Frankly, it diminishes the show’s legacy, branding it as basic. As a sitcom connoisseur I knew it was only right for me to step in. So, I compiled 9 hilarious sitcoms you can watch that aren’t The Office.  

Community 

Community is a sitcom about a group of strangers from different walks of life who form a Spanish study group that forever changes their community college experience. The show is filled with easter eggs, call-backs, and hilarious inside jokes. What sets Community apart from other sitcoms is instead of having the traditional sitcom group of friends, colleagues, or family members, Community begins with a group of complete strangers that have nothing in common except the need to pass first year Spanish class.

The Nanny 

The Nanny follows Fran Fine, a former bridal shop attendant from Flushing, Queens, who has been recently dumped and fired by her boyfriend. While selling makeup door to door, she finds herself taking on a new job as a nanny for a millionaire Broadway Producer’s three children. The show is light-hearted and despite being over a decade old the show still holds up to 2021 standards. A bonus point goes to The Nanny for its iconic fashion.  

New Girl  

New Girl follows Jess, a bubbly teacher in her 20s who is trying to find a new apartment and get over a breakup simultaneously. Jess ends up finding a loft with three single men: Nick, a law school dropout turned bartender, Winston, a former basketball player, and Schmidt, a pompous marketer. The group of men are at first apprehensive about Jess, but eventually the group finds  common ground. What makes New Girl unique is how impossible it is to pick a favourite character. While the characters’ traits are slightly exaggerated, the viewers are still able to find themselves in them and laugh.  

Brooklyn 99 

Brooklyn 99 is a comedy series following the escapades of Detectives Jake Peralta and his colleagues as they patrol New York’s 99th Precinct. The show is hilarious with impressive callbacks and well-loved main characters as well as recurring characters (I am looking at you, Doug Judy!) 

What makes Brooklyn 99 an exciting series to watch is how much the characters complement each other and balance each other out, from Jake’s silly endeavors to Captain Holt’s seriousness, to Amy’s ambition and Rosa’s resilience, Brooklyn 99 has one of the best well written characters with every character bringing something different to show.   

Modern Family  

Modern Family is a mockumentary style series following three different families — who are all somehow related to each other — that embody different family types (Nuclear, Blended, and same sex). The constant inner family conflicts and wholesomeness makes Modern Family a fun watch. 

Ja’mie: Private School Girl   

Ja’mie: Private School Girl is a quirky Australian miniseries in the style of a mockumentary. It follows a 17 year old  named Ja’mie King, a self-absorbed overachiever at an exclusive private girls’ grammar school. The show’s satirical and sometimes offensive nature, which parodies the cliche high school mean girl trope, makes for a hilarious watch.  

Kim’s Convenience 

Kim’s Convenience is a funny and wholesome story following the Kim family — a Korean-Canadian family running a convenience store in Downtown Toronto. With loving characters and unique family dynamics, this show is bound to make you laugh and cry! 

Superstore 

Superstore is a workplace comedy that takes place at Cloud 9, store number 1217, a fictional big box store, like Walmart or Target. The show follows the store associates and management as they tackle the realities of working a retail job. From dealing with bargain hunters, enduring training sessions, to dealing with inner store conflicts, Superstore has it all. The show’s premise makes for a witty and clever experience. The show’s idea is not entirely new or groundbreaking; what makes Superstore worth the watch is its fun and lighthearted nature while also dealing with some more serious subjects, and it offers a 20-minute break from reality. 

How I Met Your Mother 

How I Met Your Mother follows the main character, Ted Mosby, and his group of friends in New York City. The show is set up where future Ted tells stories to his children about his early 20s and how  he meets their mother. HIMYM makes great use of call-back comedy and flashbacks with many quirky inside jokes and a group of friends you  love to hate and hate to love. HIMYM left its mark on the world of television through its unconventional storytelling. It’s a must watch show! 

Ayat Ibrahim

UWindsor '24

Ayat is a 3rd year English Literature student, lover of cats, food and coffee. In her spare time, she can be found either reading or watching bad sitcoms.