6 Things To Know Before the Big Football Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you are absolutely new to football (like I was), here are some important things to know:

1.Football Terminology:

Touchdown:  A touchdown is when a team runs or passes the football into the end zone.  This counts for 6 points.  Once a team scores a touchdown, they are either given the option to kick a field goal or try for a 2-point conversion.

Field Goal: A field goal is when a team kicks the ball in between the two posts.  This counts as one point.

2-Point Conversion:  Instead of attempting for a field goal, the team can attempt to run or pass the ball into the end zone for two points.

2.Show Your School Spirit!

The best way to participate in a football game is to show your school spirit!  Go into your closet and find any article of clothing that you have in blue or gold or make a trip to the campus bookstore.  

3.Make Sure You Sit on Your Team’s Side!

Imagine yourself walking into the stadium and sitting down (unknowingly) amongst all of the opposing team’s fans.  Lancers get a touchdown, you jump up cheering, no one else around is cheering, and they’re all staring at you.  That could make for an interesting situation.  The easiest way to make sure you are with the other Lancer fans is to look for the people decked out in blue and gold!  Another way is to sit behind where the Lancer cheerleaders are standing.

4. Tailgating

Tailgating is a great way to join in on the game festivities!  What is a greater way to meet your fellow students and get the energy going before a big game than attending the tailgating party?

5.Hydrate!

Drink all of the alcohol water.  You may not know this, but football games last 4 hours.  During this game, you will be outside in the sun and heat, so make sure to drink lots of water!

6.Dress for the Weather

As many of you know, or will come to learn, Windsor has extremely all-over-the-place weather.  Even if it is sunny in the morning, make sure that you bring your sunscreen and a rain jacket!

Now you are hopefully ready for the next big football game!  See you all at Homecoming on October 3rd!

I am currently in my 4th year of Sport Management and a major whiskey enthusiast.  Not necessarily in that order.