jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Festive Things to do this Fall in Essex County

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The season of boots, oversized sweaters, Pumpkin Spice Lattes and all things cinnamon is almost here. The best thing about the Fall is its amazing weather, especially here in Essex County. The brisk breeze, blue skies, and the warmth of the sun is absolute perfection. Not to mention, the leaves changing colour makes everything so much more magical this time around. Sadly, fall does not last very long; if we’re lucky we get it till November. So, take some time out in the next couple of months to really enjoy the outdoors. For those of us that are in school, this makes a great break from our excruciating readings and tedious notetaking. Fall is romantic, wondrous, and, most of all, fun! To help guide you on your autumn adventures, here are 6 festive things you can do this season right here in Essex County.

1. Go Apple Picking. There is nothing better than to dress up in your best autumn attire and go apple picking at your local orchard. Not only do you get the opportunity to pick the finest apples with family and friends, but this is the perfect time to pose for the camera! There is something about taking pictures in an apple orchard that is so darn cute. Here in Essex County, my favourite orchard is Thiessen Orchards in Leamington. They have more than just apples, but also a pen of farm animals, a corn maze, a haunted barn, and mini golf. Another great orchard in the area is Wagner Orchards and Estate Winery in Maidstone. This farm has a huge selection of apples, tractor-drawn rides, and a bunch of horses and cows. Apple picking is a must for this season.
  2. Visit a Pumpkin Patch. Another great way to get festive this fall is going to a pumpkin patch. Whether you’re picking pumpkins to cook or just to carve for Halloween, it’s always fun. Also, just like the apple orchards, this is another great place for taking cute pictures and bond with family and friends. A great place to visit is Hillcrest Orchards in Amherst. This farm has pumpkins, a corn maze, pedal karts, and a farm market. Spending an afternoon picking pumpkins is an afternoon spent well.
  3. Take a Trip to a Vineyard. If you enjoy wine, going to a vineyard is a must this season. Even if you’re not a drinker, vineyards are absolutely beautiful so it’s still worth a visit. Essex County is a full of many vineyards, but one of my favorites is the Pelee Island Winery in Kingsville. This winery has a $5 tour available, which covers tastings, a walk-through tour of the estate as well as a complimentary wine glass. The estate is gorgeous especially in the late afternoon when the sun is getting ready to set. A couple other popular vineyards in Essex County include Aleksander Estate Winery, Mastronardi Estate Winery, and Paglione Estate Winery to name just a few.
  4. Get Lost in a Corn Maze. Let’s be honest, a corn maze is always exciting. Working your way through a real life puzzle is absolutely thrilling! Take your siblings, friends, or even your significant other for some great fall time fun. A great farm in the area is Allsop Farms in Kingsville. This farm has activities, such as a corn maze, a corn hole game, and pumpkin bowling. It also has a pumpkin patch, as well as other foods such as squash, gourds, corn stalk and much more. The best part about this farm is that they have beautiful displays that are perfect for capturing all your fun-filled moments.
  5. Go for a Hay Ride. You are never too old for a hay ride. Whether you are taking your kids, siblings, friends, or significant other, a hay ride is always a good idea. Many farms in the area provide hay rides, such as Thiessen Orchards. However, to spook things up a bit, the Horror Hayride is quite popular at Colasanti’s Tropical Garden.
  6. Get Spooked in a Haunted House. Speaking of haunted hay rides, do you have what it takes to get through demons, ghosts, zombies, and serial killers all in one place? Well, fall is the season where Halloween has a complete takeover. As October 31st creeps forward, make sure you get in the Halloween spirit and visit a haunted house. A couple places you can visit for a good scare include: Scarehouse Windsor, Haunted Greenhouse and the Haunted Hedgemaze at Colasanti’s Tropical Gardens, and the ghost tour at Fort Malden in Amherstburg.

So there you have it! These are the 6 festive things you can do this fall with anybody you enjoy being with. Not only will you be showing off your fabulous fall fashion, but also be supporting your local farms and business owners. Happy Fall darlings!

*Disclaimer: Featured image is not mine. Retrieved here

Gursimran is a fourth year student at the University of Windsor pursing a BSc in Biological Sciences and a minor in Psychology. Gursimran spends much of her free time volunteering in her community, spending time with family and friends, travelling and writing for her personal blog. She aspires to be a lawyer and eventually dive into the world of Canadian politics. Gursimran is passionate about human rights and bringing positive change to the world. She is an active citizen and aims to inspire and empower the youth to get engaged in global issues and be young drivers of change. Follow Gursimran on Instagram and make sure to check out her blog, Sincerely Simran!