5 Things You Didn’t Know About Latvia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

When I tell people I’m from Latvia, the most common question I’m asked is, “Where’s Latvia?” Unlike England, France, and Germany, it may not be a country that’s often mentioned in the West, but it’s a beautiful Baltic territory with a rich culture and gorgeous language. The Baltic State, which joined the EU in 2004, is well known for many cool things, and if you haven’t heard of it yet, then this article is just for you.  

1. Riga

As the capital city of Latvia, Riga is bustling with high energy, memorable sights, and tons of awesome shops. It’s the city I was born in and visit ever-so often, so it holds a special place in my heart. But even for those who have never heard of it, it is impressive. It holds about a third of the countries’ total population, with about 44% Latvians, 38% Russians, 4% Belarusians, 4% Ukrainians, 2% Poles, and 8% other ethnicities. It’s divided into different regions, including living regions, as well as Central Riga (the best place for shopping) and Old Riga (with amazing historic buildings and monuments). Divided by a beautiful river, Daugava, Riga also has a left and right side who enjoy friendly rivalry every now and then. 

2. Most People Speak 3 LanguagesIt’s not uncommon, especially in Riga, to find people who speak 3 languages. Of course, there is the national language (Latvian), but due to Latvia’s history with the USSR and the large ethnic Russian minority, Russian is also a language often spoken in Latvia. While older generations can often speak some German as well, younger generations are keen on learning English, so English makes up the third language that most Latvians speak. In my latest trip, I found I could get by easily with only English on my side, so it’s wonderful for travellers and tourists. 

3. Balzams

“If you haven’t tasted it, you have not been in Riga.” There’s a reason this is Riga Black Balsam’s slogan, as it is a famous traditional Latvian balsam (herbal liqueur) made by using a unique single-barrel process. Whether or not you’re an alcohol person, it’s something that must be tried at least once in life, especially since this drink holds over 100 awards from international fairs. 

4. Gatis Kandis

Gatis Kandis is a familiar face you might remember from Britain’s Got Talent, where he appeared in series 5, 6, and 10. In the 6th, he reached the semi-finals for his incredible comedy act, being described by Simon as, “the funniest unfunniest comedian in the world.” For a strange brand of humor you can’t help but laugh at (either in pleasure or in pain), you must see Gatis Kandis. 

5. Sublime Nature

About half of Latvia is woods and forests—a fact highlighted by its many parks and nature reserves. While Canada’s nature is sublime in one sense, Latvia’s nature is a completely different but equally breath-taking sight to behold. It has a diverse environment with forests, seasides, marshes, lakes, and rivers. Speaking from personal experience, I would not be surprised to find out Latvia is one of the greenest countries, with some of the cleanest beaches. 

Bonus: The Freedom Monument

The Freedom Monument, located in the heart of Riga, is an important monument honoring the soldiers who were killed during the Latvian War of Independence. As a country with a difficult history involving painful political struggles and invasions, Latvia has fought hard to establish its freedom and sovereignty. Even today, this symbol of Latvia’s hardship is cherished, as it is guarded by guards of honour, chosen as a place for proposals and weddings, and a site for remembrance. Latvia has worked hard to keep its country safe and healthy, take care of nature, and maintain its culture. It has produced wonderful products, as well as wonderful people. And in the future, may things only get better. 

Anna Karch

UWindsor '20

Anna Karch studies English, French, and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. In her spare time, Anna enjoys playing piano, journaling, and spending time with friends. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to continue writing in the future.