The 5 Best Accessories for Keeping Warm This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

After a long and leisurely winter break, filled with days curled up in bed binging on Netflix, class is back in session.  

Apart from spending most of your money on textbooks and skimping on sleep again, another term at school also guarantees that you will be spending a lot more time outside walking from class-to-class.  

And if you haven’t noticed, it’s gotten a lot colder outside.

While you may rather stay in bed and avoid the bitter cold, you know you have to go to class – so that means it’s time to pull out your winter accessories.  While you may be unsure of what to put on in the morning to brace for the freezing outdoors, you can likely stay warm with what you already have in your closet!

Here is a list of the perfect winter accessories to protect you from the cold:

1. Fleece-lined leggings

Anthropologie leggings – $9.95

You won’t believe the wonders of fleece-lined leggings until you try them – they will not only keep you warm, but you’ll also feel like you never got out of your pajamas.  Pair them with a big, loose sweater and knee-high boots to make a comfortable and cute winter outfit!

2. Thick knit hat or headband

Don’t think that just because you’re dressed warmly that you aren’t able to look good!  A thick knit hat or headband will make you look great on a bad hair day and it will keep your head protected from the freezing weather.

3. Rubber boots

Hunter rain boots – $112.00 and up

Especially on days where slush fills the streets, a pair of rubber boots will protect your feet from the cold and wet ground.  While you may need to wear warm socks underneath, there’s nothing like a pair of rubber boots to keep your feet dry!

4. Thick socks

J.Crew camp socks – $18.50 (USD)

Pair these comfy socks with your boots and keep your feet extra warm.  On especially cold days, layer socks and stay cozy.

5. Fleece pullover

Patagonia Women’s Re-Tool Snap-T® Fleece Pullover – $119

Throw this on in the morning for an effortlessly pretty look that will also keep you warm and cozy.  

Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your style.  Avoid looking like this…

…and stick with the essentials from your closet!

Good luck braving the winter!

Lucy Hopkins is pursuing a career in public relations whilst studying Communications at McMaster University.