4 Books by Women of Colour that Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

A common critique of literature and the publishing industry is that it is primarily composed of white men, divorced from our diverse reality. While this is often the case, one way to rectify this (unfortunate) reality is to promote books written by diverse authors, such as women, poc and the LGBTQ community. Unsure of where to start? Fear not! I have a list of 4 remarkable books all written by women of colour.  

If an Egyptian Cannot Speak English by Noor Naga 

Winner of the 2022 Scotiabank Giller Prize, Noor Naga’s If an Egyptian Cannot Speak English, explores what happens when American identity politics is exported abroad, especially to the global south. Taking place during the aftermath of the Arab Spring, the novel follows two anonymous characters: an upper-middle class second generation Egyptian immigrant, returning to Egypt on a journey to reconnect with her roots, and an unemployed photographer, struggling with addiction and lost promises of revolution. As the relationship between our two narrators evolve, so do Naga’s critique of culture and the new face of imperialism. This interesting read was published in 2022 and is 208 pages long.  

The Idiot by Elif Batuman 

Elif Batuman’s Pulitzer prize winning freshman novel is a semi-autobiographical melancholic revisit to Harvard in 1995. Here, we follow incoming linguistics major Selin, as her romantic feelings for a 4th year mathematics student, Ivan, takes her across Europe; from Paris to rural Hungary. From annoying roommates, to confusing assignments, coming home for Christmas and feelings that get lost in translation, Selin is representative of every first year university student. Exploring themes of romantic confusion and feelings of insecurity, Batuman perfectly encapsulates the tension within the transition from adolescence to adulthood. This book was published in 2017 and is 464 pages long.  

God Isn’t Here Today by Francine Cunningham  

In this collection of spooky short stories, indigenous author Francine Cunningham tells the stories of those often ignored by mainstream literature, such as sex workers and the unhoused through haunting anecdotes. Telling tales of an ice cream truck driver driven insane by his truck’s song, a woman discovering that she is the last person on earth, a bored ghost finding a home in a young woman’s body and a man going downtown to God’s office for advice, Cunningham manages to explore themes of colonialism and generational trauma through horror. This gothic collection was published in 2022 and is 272 pages long.  

Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam Joo 

“I thought of Kim Jiyoung’s character as a vessel that contains experiences and emotions that are common to every Korean woman”. In this translated work written to cause debate, Cho Nam Joo writes about the life of a woman currently seeking psychiatric help. Through therapy, she tells her life story, spanning from her birth to the birth of her own child. The through line between all these anecdotes is the gross sexism Kim Jiyoung faces. From the education system to sexual assault on public transportation, Cho Nam Joo exposes the misogyny underpining Korean society. This feminist manifesto was published in 2016 and is only 144 pages long. 

As you embark on this literary journey, immerse yourself in the rich narratives crafted by these talented women of colour. I promise you, it’s worth it.

Lara Najem

UWindsor '27

Lara Najem is a writer at the University of Windsor's chapter of Her Campus. Her articles mainly focus on media and culture. Lara is in her 1st year at the University of Windsor, pursuing a major in Behaviour, Cognition and Neuroscience with a minor in French. With a strong interest in mental health and the brain, she hopes to pursue a career in clinical psychology. Alongside being a member of HerCampus, Lara is a member of the BCNSA (the association of neuroscience students) and the Women in Science Club. Outside of school, Lara is an avid reader, lover of music and video essay enjoyer.