This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I love to watch movies. I keep track of what movies I have already seen, and my watch lists are absolutely packed.  I play Framed (Wordle, but with movie frames) every single day, and  I even remember the first movie I ever saw in the theaters: Alvin and the Chipmunks. At the beginning of each year, I always like to do some research to see what movies are coming out. There are about 25 new movies I am really looking forward to seeing in 2023, but here are just a few  that I am most excited to see on the big screen.

Titanic

I totally understand that this may not count; however, it is being remastered and re-released in theaters on February 10th, so I will allow it. Titanic is one of my favourite movies of all time; it’s definitely in my top 3. I do not go more than a couple of months before rewatching it, so best believe that I will be taking my boyfriend to go and watch it (even though we saw it last month).

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Playing Super Mario Sunshine on the Nintendo GameCube and Mario Kart Wii on the Nintendo Wii definitely made up a good portion of my childhood, not to mention the Mario TV show and movies that were not portrayed very well. A part of me is jealous of children now who get to grow up with such well-made films as the upcoming Super Mario Bros. Movie, with absolute stellar casting choices. However, then  I remember that I will simply never grow out of my Mario phase and will be right there with them watching The Super Mario Bros. Movie when it comes out April 7th.

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret

Now I’m not sure about you, but I grew up reading Judy Blume’s books; that was an author  everybody knew at  my elementary school. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was the holy grail for 12-year-old me, so to see it coming out on April 28th is super exciting.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

I only just saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse about 2 years ago, but believe me when I say that I have been WAITING for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse to come out. Watching Spider-Man: No Way Home in theaters was amazing ;) and I can only imagine how full the theaters will be on June 2nd.

Barbie

Okay everybody; this is it! This is what we have been waiting for! I am just simply not ready for how I am going to react when I see this movie on the big screen. Best believe I will be at  the first showing of this movie on July 21st . I am such a big fan of Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling and considering they both look incredible as the roles  of Barbie and Ken with the few pictures and clips we have, I know they will be nothing less than fantastic.

Oppenheimer

Did I mention that July 21st will be a double feature? Christopher Nolan and Greta Gerwig really wanted to make sure my pockets will be absolutely empty. The images and trailer are really setting the bar high for this film, and  I just know I will not be disappointed.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!