20 Thoughts You Have During Science Labs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.
  1. Beads don’t represent an actual population… especially when they only come in two colours.
  2. Microscopes never work. Why do we still pretend they do?
  3. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell… we get it.
  4. Every field of view diagram looks like a Van Gogh piece, no matter what is under inspection.
  5. You literally cannot differentiate between different kinds of cells; blobs are blobs.
  6. Everyone should get a coffee break during centrifugation.
  7. Lab buddies become real life buddies because of the struggle.
  8. “I’ll finish Part A, you finish Part B, and we’ll get Part C from another group.”
  9. 90% of the lab is unnecessary to read. The first few lines and the instructions are all you need.
  10. Sometimes not even the instructions.
  11. What colour pipette am I supposed to use? Let’s try blue… nope, not blue.
  12. Where did my experiment go? Oh my God. It evaporated.
  13. The end result is the wrong colour? Time to use my supreme BS skills.
  14. These experiments never turn out the way they’re supposed to.
  15. Toxic chemical? Guess my lab partner will deal with that…
  16. These goggles don’t fit over my glasses. I’m gonna go blind.
  17. Why does my 3-hour lab contain 5 hours worth of work?
  18. “I messed up. Can I see your answers?”
  19. I think I lost half of the mass to entropy.
  20. This was not worth waking up for.  

I've always been a writer. I'm a Sagittarius with an INFP personality type. I have cats and dogs and love all animals. I am an ovo-lacto pescetarian veering into raw food, slow fashion, eco-friendly beauty, and all-natural skincare. I am a huge fan of language and study English Literature and Creative Writing. I have left footprints in Europe, North America, and the Caribbean. I have a million favourite quotes. I am a devoted Anglican. Finally, I believe love conquers all.