This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

While the cold hasn’t officially hit here in Windsor, the seasons are changing, which means the arrival of all things winter! Here are some of my favourite things about the winter season that I enjoy doing once exam season is over and I finally have a chance to relax.

1. Christmas Music

So, I am very picky when it comes to Christmas music. I absolutely despise the repetition of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” or “Frosty the Snowman,” but I LOVE playing Pentatonix on repeat (my personal favourite is “That’s Christmas To Me), and I also love anything composed by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

2. Christmas Lights

All those bright lights decorating everything is one of my favourite things to look at. I love to see all the hard work that people put together for the season. Some people go FULL OUT, and it appears stunning.

3. Snow

While this stuff is horrible to drive in, when it first arrives it is magical! I love looking out over the backyard and seeing nothing but the sparkle of freshly fallen snow from the night before.

4. Crisp Air

Sure this is a shock to you in the morning, and I prefer to stay indoors during the winter, but I find it refreshing to walk out and find that blast of coldness.

5. Candles

Have you ever walked into Bath & Body Works and dove your nose straight into the warm and cozy chocolate marshmallow candle? It is one of the best scents that you can have, and this is the only time in which you can stock up on them.

6. Winter-Themed Drinks

Break out EVERYTHING peppermint and candy cane, and I’ll be the first one in line. This is the only season in which my repetitive orders from Starbucks take a toll on my bank account.

7. Chunky Sweater

I am an avid believer that the larger the sweater, the comfier it is bound to be, and the winter season the best time for these. Chunky sweaters match practically everything and can be dressed up or dressed down depending on how you style it. They are also the perfect thing to lounge around in as you sit and relax from school.

8. Cozy Socks

To go with the chunky sweaters, warm fuzzy socks are its perfect pair! I love the reading socks that Chapters has since they are super cute on the outside and have a warm fur on the inside. They feel just like a pair of slippers and are the perfect thing to cozy up with.

9. Crackling Fires

I love the sound of a crackling fire and the smell of campfire travelling out from chimneys.

10. Christmas Shopping

While I personally get done ALL of my shopping months in advance, I still tend to visit many stores during the holiday season. I love watching what other people are getting, finding out who it’s for, and why they picked it. I feel I learn a little bit about each person that I encounter when wandering the store’s aisles.

11. Christmas Movies

Bust out all those old DVDs–this is one of my favourite things to do. Not only is it entirely acceptable to watch National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation on repeat, but all the new Hallmark and Netflix Christmas movies are released! Binge-watching here I come!

12. Decorating Christmas Trees

One of my favourite traditions that we do in my house is that every year we each get to pick out our own ornament. Now, being the oldest of four, our tree is decked out with ornaments from my childhood: from Strawberry Shortcake (which still smells like strawberries) to a Barbie Dream House with actually Barbies that sit in it. Decorating the tree is the time when we all look back at our ornaments and reflect on what we were like at that age.

What are some of your favourite things about winter? Do you have any traditions that you do every year?

Let us know down below!

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.