10 Underrated Female Rappers You Should Add to Your Playlist Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

There is no doubt that female rap and hip-hop is underappreciated and  does not get the respect and attention it truly deserves. It is hard for women in a rap scene dominated by men. The world of rap and hip-hop is constantly evolving. When discussing female rap, it is only right to pay our respects to Foxy Brown, Lauryn Hill, Lil Kim, MC lyte, Missy Elliott, Salt-N- Pepa, Queen Latifah, Sha-Rock, and Trina. e These are women who  paved a way for female rap to become what it is today. It is not  easy  for female rappers to break into the mainstream, but the likes of Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion, Doja Cat and Lattoare constantly making waves, topping charts and breaking glass ceilings. They are all powerful, empowering women who have boldly asserted themselves and worked hard in a largely male-dominated music industry. Now it is time to explore, do yourself a favour, and improve your playlist with these 10 talented, underrated female rappers. 

Rico Nasty

Rapper Maria-Ceilia Simone Kelly, known professionally as Rico Nasty, is from the United States. She was born on May 7th, 1997 in Washington, D.C. She is so talented and yet so underrated. She rose to fame with her breakout single “Smack A Bitch”, which was certified gold on June 19th, 2020. In 2019, she was featured on XXL freshman list. She was also featured on Doja Cat’s  song “Tia Tamera.”. Her latest album is titled Las Ruinas. She was featured on “Scary,”  the tenth song on Megan Thee Stallion’s album Traumazine. Her latest release is a single titled “Gotsta Get Paid” in which  she raps over a spooky instrumental and bodies it.

Flo Milli

Rapper Tamia Monique Carter, popularly known as Flo Milli, is from the United States. She was born on January 9th, 2000 in Mobile, Alabama. On  TikTok, not one but two of her songs, including “In the Party” and “Beef FloMix,” went viral. She also gained attention due to her featuring on Baby Tate’s “I Am” and $NOT’s “Mean”, and these songs also went viral on  TikTok . Her songs are very catchy and easy to rap along to. She has created a name for herself at such a young age and as a woman in the music industry. On July, 20th 2022, she released her debut album, You Still Here, Ho? following the release of her mixtape Ho, why is you here? in 2020. She is definitely killing the rap game, and you should check her out. She announced her tour dates for October and November 2022 alongside fellow rapper Monaleo.

Bbymutha

Rapper Brittnee Moore, also known by her stage name Bbymutha, is from the United States. She was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee. She gained attention after her song “Rules”, from her EP Glow Kit: Blk Girl, went viral. Bbymutha has a unique style of rap. The  lyrics in her songs will make you feel unstoppable, confident, and powerful as a woman. As a black woman and a mother from Tennessee, Bbymutha weaves feminism, self-confidence, and empowerment into her music. She has also collaborated with fellow rapper Rico Nasty. Her latest release is a 4-song EP called Cherrytape, it is fantastic, and, per usual, she gives us amazing flows. Bbymutha doesn’t disappoint when it comes to making music.

Doechii

Rapper Jaylah Ji’mya Hickmon, known by stage name Doechii, is from the United States. She was born on August 14th, 1998. Doechii rose to fame after her song “Yucky Blucky Fruitcake” went viral on TikTok. She  gained more attention after the release of her single “Persuasive” featuring the R&B singer Sza. Doechii is very creative and versatile in her  music. Her latest release is a 5-song EP called she/her/black bitch which features Rico Nasty. She was featured on XXL 2022 Freshman Class.

Enchanting

The Rapper Enchanting’s real name is not public. She was born on October 9th 1998 in Texas, United States. She is very private and does not share t her personal life. Her name speaks for itself because her voice is indeed enchanting and very unique. She came into the spotlight after her verse on the single  “No Luv” featuring Key Glock, Gucci Mane, and Big Scarr went viral. She also collaborated with fellow rapper Kali on the song “ Track & Field.”Her song “Way Back” was the soundtrack of Season 2, Episode 5 of the “P-Valley” TV Series. 

Kali

Rapper Kaliyah Ashley Ross, popularly known by stage name Kali, is from the United States. She was born on July 29th, 2000 in Atlanta, Georgia. Kali rose to prominence for her hit single “Do A Bitch”, which has over 20 million streams on spotify. Her song “MMM MMM” also went viral on Tiktok  since users used it for their videos. She has collaborated with other female rappers like Rico Nasty, Enchanting, and Baby Tate. She was featured on the XXL Freshman list of 2022.

Bktherula

Rapper Brooklyn Rodriguez, known as Bktherula, is from the United States. She was born on August 30th, 2002 in Atlanta, Georgia. Her song “LEFT RIGHT” went viral on Tiktok ,and she has  over 1 million streams on Soundcloud. She is very talented. Her songs “Tweakin’ Together” and  “Santanny” also went viral on Tiktok. She collaborated with fellow rapper Rico Nasty on a song called “Vaderz”.

Rubi Rose 

Rapper Rubi Rose Benton, popularly known as Rubi Rose , is from the United States. She was born on October 2nd, 1997 in Lexington, Kentucky. She gained attention after starring in the “Bad and Boujee” video for the hip-hop group Migos. In 2019, her song “Big Mouth” went viral, and it currently has over 19 million streams on Spotify. Cardi B stated that she likes Rubi Rose’s music a lot and that she has a voice that a lot of female artists don’t have. In June of 2021, she was featured on the XXL freshman list.“Big Mouth” was recently certified gold, with over 500,000 singles sold.

Monaleo

Rapper Leondra Roshawn Gay, known as Monaleo, is from the United States. She was born on April 24th, 2001 in Houston, Texas. In 2021, she released her debut single titled “Beating Down Yo Block.” With millions of streams on Spotify and millions of views on the music video on YouTube, the song is extremely popular. She is really doing her thing in the music industry and making big moves. Her music will make you feel like THAT girl. She recently dropped a freestyle on SoundCloud rapping to the instrumental of Chief Keef’s all-time iconic track “Faneto.” She collaborated with Flo Milli on “We Not Humping” remix, and they are going on a joint tour in October and November of 2022.

Lakeyah

Rapper Lakeyah Danaee Robisnon, known mononymously as Lakeyah, is from the United States. She was born on February 28th, 2001 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She gained attention after the release of her hit single “Female Goat”, featuring the City Girls, which has over 11 million streams on spotify. Her song “Mind Yo Business”, featuring Latto, went viral on  Tiktok. She was featured on the XXL Freshman class of 2021. She is currently signed to Quality Control Music. Her latest release is an EP titled No Pressure (Pt.2).

Subomi Aminu

UWindsor '23

Subomi is a graduate from the Communication, Media and Film program at UWindsor. She is a writer and social media team member at hcuwindsor chapter. During her free time, Subomi loves writing poems, cooking and watching documentaries. She plans to go into Marketing and Journalism.