tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things You Should Know about Hearing Impairment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

1. Just because I wear hearing aids, does not mean my hearing is perfect. I will still have difficulty hearing you.

2. It can be intimidating in large groups and in areas with a lot of background noise. If I don’t respond it’s not because I’m being rude. It’s because I genuinely didn’t hear you.

3. Yes, I am that person that always sits in front of the class so I can hear the teacher. I also need a note taker, and there are various other tools people with hearing aids to use in classroom settings such as FM systems and tape recorders.

4. Not everyone with a hearing impairment can lip read or do sign language. I personally didn’t receive lessons growing up, mostly due to how expensive it would be.

5. Hearing aids are extremely expensive. Most insurance companies will pay for half of it, but it still costs $2000 for me personally. And you have to replace them every 3- 4 years. This is why organizations such as the Starkey Hearing Foundation are so important.

6. After doing research, I realized how diverse the deaf community is. Not all of them wish they could hear; they have their own unique culture and they’re proud of it.

7. You actually have to pay to get hearing tests done as well! And you need them pretty frequently. It cost $80 per test.

8. You also have  to get many other devices aside from hearing aids, including special alarm clocks and phones.

9. Basically, it’s expensive but it’s part of who I am.

10. It’s great when you can take them out to ignore people.

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.