10 Reasons Why Green Day is Awesome as F*ck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

For anyone who knows me, it is a fact that I am obsessed with Green Day. They have been my favourite band for more than half of my life. I am always irked when I find someone who says they don’t like Green Day, or when someone only knows of any songs off of American Idiot and not their other albums. With the release of their newest album called Revolution Radio on October 7th, the kickoff tour for the album, and many reviews on RevRad coming up, I have decided to put in my own two cents and to talk about why Green Day is Awesome as F*ck (pun intended). It’s been hard to come up with only ten reasons, but I hope that these ten reasons are enough for you to love them just as much as I do.

1. Green Day Isn’t Just ‘Green Day’…

They are also the Foxboro Hot Tubs and the Network. Actually, many people still claim that the Network has never actually upfront confirmed that they are Green Day, but there is no way it isn’t. Billie Joe Armstrong has also been in groups such as Pinhead Gunpowder and The Boo (consisting of himself, his wife, and his two sons), and he has collaborated with Norah Jones. He has also toured with The Replacements, and has played with Rancid, Corrupted Morals, Duff McKagan, and Jesse Malin. Mike Dirnt plays for another band called The Frustrators. He has also been a part of a band called Screeching Weasel. Tre Cool was formerly in bands such as The Lookouts and (possibly?) Samian, as well as being in an experimental band called Dead Mermaids.

I don’t know about you, but I think it’s phenomenal that all of the members of the group are so committed and passionate about music. Although many people may not know of their side projects and sidebands, it has never stopped them from continuing to create new music. You can tell there is a passion there because they obviously don’t just do this for fame or attention; many people are unaware of their other successes.    

2. The Name of the Band is a Pot Reference

I have never smoked weed, nor do I plan to. It’s just a personal choice. To all supporters of marijuana, though, you may be delighted to know that the name ‘Green Day’ refers to smoking weed. Billie Joe wrote a song called ‘Green Day’ which is on their first studio album that talks about his first time ever smoking green. They formally changed their band name from ‘Sweet Children’ to ‘Green Day’ in 1989.

3. They Have An Album Called ‘Shit’

Well, the album is called Dookie, which is a slang term for ‘shit’. I think it was the name of the album that got people interested in listening to the album. Dookie was their third album to be released and was a great hit in the 90s. Popular songs like “When I Come Around”, “Welcome to Paradise”, “Longview”, “She”, and “Basket Case” can all be found on this amazing album! Besides the humorous name of this album, the album artwork itself is very memorable and interesting.

4. Their Concerts Are Not Overpriced

I have been to many concerts in my life, and I have never been able to find deals like I do with Green Day concerts. The last time I saw them, my ticket was only $50 and I was incredibly close to them. I am seeing them this October, and my ticket was only $70 for, again, very close to the stage. I have paid literally hundreds of dollars for other concerts and have been nowhere near the stage…with Green Day, it has never been an issues. Yes, all concerts can be expensive, and for some people, $50 may be a lot. Since they are my favourite band, I’m happy that the prices aren’t ridiculous like they are for (for example) Muse (my second favourite band).

5. They Stand Up for Their Fans

This is one of the biggest reasons why I love this band. There are many stories and videos online of Billie Joe defending people in the crowd. They will stop a show and not continue until they know everything is all right. To my knowledge, this has most recently happened at the House of Blues in 2015 when Green Day was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A girl I know of was being shoved by the crowd and they stopped playing to check if she was okay. Besides this, Billie Joe also stands up for himself, which is something I truly aspire to be like. I have not seen many other people do this for their fans at concerts, and trust me, I have been to MANY concerts.  

Here is a video of Billie Joe stopping a song to make sure a fan was safe.

6. They Have a Musical

After their least successful album (prior to American Idiot), Warning, which released in 2000, and Shenanigans (2002), Green Day released American Idiot, which some people consider a rock-opera. This album consists of actual characters and has a plot from start to finish of the album. Because the album is a story, it has become a Broadway production called American Idiot. I have seen the play a few times myself and every time I see it, it gets better and better. How many other bands can say that they have a Broadway production based on an album they have created?

7. They Give Back

Yes, I know: nearly all celebrities in the world donate to charities. The thing I like and respect about Green Day is that they also encourage their fans to donate through alternative methods. Some people do not participate in charitable acts unless they will get something in return. During the crisis in Darfur, Green Day covered John Lennon’s “Working Class Hero”for a CD compilation with other bands. The proceeds of this album went to Amnesty International. After the tsunami strike in Japan, Green Day decided to donate funds consistently through the Red Cross. After each purchase of “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” (probably their most downloaded song) on iTunes, the royalties of the purchase went back to the Red Cross. Green Day has also donated to a diverse amount of organizations, including Greenpeace, which is a charity I hold very near and dear to my heart.

8. Family First

Even though they are very successful musicians, the members of Green Day each make time for their families. Billie Joe Armstrong has been with his wife, Adrienne, since 1994 and has written multiple love songs about her, such as “80” and “Last Night on Earth”. He also has two sons, which he helps with their musical careers as well. Mike Dirnt has a wife and young children, as well. His wife was diagnosed with cancer, and he has always been there to support her. Tré Cool has recently remarried and has two children from previous relationships. Many celebrity relationships crumble, and oftentimes they have distant bonds with their families. Luckily, Billie Joe, Mike, and Tre are not only very close with each other, but with their families as well.

9. They Are Very Humanized

All members of the band are very relatable and are evidentially just ordinary people. Celebrities are often times thought of as higher beings and important entities. Although Green Day fans idolize them, we also know that they are typical and we love them for it. They speak to their fans on an equal level and very causally. Billie Joe’s substance abuse concerns are public throughout the media, and he has successfully overcome it. Many people can relate to the struggle of breaking an addiction. It has never been something he has been ashamed of, either. Billie Joe is also open about his sexuality, even though he was not when he was younger. The song “Coming Clean” is about Armstrong coming to terms with his sexuality. They have been through breakups and divorces, which they have addressed in many of the songs they have. They have gotten into trouble with the law. They have openly made mistakes during shows. Mike and Billie Joe have opened up a coffee shop in California that uses organic coffee and eco-friendly products for coffee beans. It’s almost like they are just your Average Joe’s who enjoy a good cup of coffee and opened a business, like many other people do.

10. They Aren’t Afraid to Speak Up

Green Day actively speaks up against political issues and social issues. Even now, Billie Joe Armstrong’s Instagram is filled with support for BlackLivesMatter and has repeatedly and publicly spoke up against Donald Trump and gun violence. Many of their songs brush upon current issues. Despite frequent backlash, no members of the group have ever stopped their advocacy. Instead, they continue to advocate with the strong influence they have over people and encourage people to love one another.

In conclusion, these are only a few of the reasons why I love this band. I absolutely cannot wait to see them again live and to hear the entirety of Revolution Radio when it comes out. I hope you all check it out, too!

Enjoy!

Taurus. Vegan. Tea lover. Rabbit enthusiast. Aspiring social worker and writer. The proud owner of many pets. Avid reader. Fan of the Office, the Simpsons, and Married...with Children. Judge Judy is my idol. The biggest Green Day fan you'll ever meet. I do also enjoy Muse and Mac DeMarco.