10 Book-to-Movie Adaptations Coming in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Book-to-movie adaptations–you either love them or hate them. With all the success that has come out of them in the past, including Fifty Shades of Grey and Crazy Rich Asians, 2019 is the year for books to hit the big screen! Now, you may be the person who has read and dedicated their life to the book, or you could have just jumped on the hype to see an amazing movie, but here are just a few of the movies that are coming out that are high on my to-watch list.

Chaos Walking: The Knife of Never Letting Go

Synopsis: Todd Hewitt lives on the distant planet of New World – a new hope for humanity, consisting of only males,  until struck by a virus, which enables men to hear one another’s thoughts. While the society around him is slowly going mad, Todd discovers a girl named Viola, who may be the key to solving the secrets that Now World hides.  

Together, they go on an adventure into an unexplored planet to discover the truth of the lives they left behind and the world that they call home.

Cast: Daisy Ridley, Tom Holland, Nick Jonas

Release Date: March 1, 2019

Five Feet Apart

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Stella spends most of her time in the hospital as a cystic fibrosis patient. When she meets Will, who has the same illness, a connection appears, but for safety, they must maintain a safe distance between each other. As the connection grows stronger, both are tempted to test fate to be with one another.

Cast: Cole Sprouse, Haley Lu Richardson, Moises Arias

Release Date: March 22, 2019

After

Synopsis: Tessa Young is a student, a daughter and a loyal girlfriend. Entering college, Tessa’s world opens when she meets Hardin Scott, a mysterious and brooding rebel who makes her question herself  and what she wants out of life.

Cast: Josephine Langford, Hero Fiennes-Tiffin, Inanna Sarkis

Release Date: April 12, 2019

The Sun is Also a Star ?

Synopsis: Natasha and her family have less than 24 hours before they are to be deported from New York to Jamaica. Further complications arise when Natasha meets and falls in love with Daniel, the son of Korean immigrants.

Cast: Yara Shahidi, Charles Melton

Release Date: May 17, 2019

Artemis Fowl

Synopsis: Artemis Fowl, 12-year-old genius and descendant of a long line of criminal masterminds, finds himself in an epic battle against a race of powerful underground fairies who may be behind his father’s disappearance.

Cast: Ferdia Shaw, Judi Dench, Josh Gad

Release Date: August 9, 2019

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark ?

Synopsis: Teens band together to solve the mystery of deaths in their small town.

Cast: Gabriel Rush, Jane Moffat, Zoe Margaret Colletti

Release Date: August 9, 2019

Little Women

Synopsis: Four sisters come of age in America in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Cast: Emma Watson, Saoirse Ronan, Florenge Pugh, Eliza Scanlen, Timothée Chalamet

Release Date: December 25, 2019

Call of the Wild

Synopsis: Jack Thornton travels across Alaska during the Klondike Gold Rush. When he finds another Yukon-bound man, who treats his sled dogs cruelly, Jack purchases a dog named Buck, who leads the way toward the gold. When Jack encounters a woman named Claire Blake in the Alaskan wilderness, romance develops.

Cast: Karen Gillan, Harrison Ford, Dan Stevens, Bradley Whitford, Omar Sy.

Release Date: December 25, 2019

P.S. I Still Love You ?

Synopsis: In the second book from Jenny Han, Lara Jean becomes a couple with Peter but she develops a friendship with her other crush, John Ambrose McClaren.

Cast: Lana Condor, Noah Centineo

Release Date: TBA

All the Bright Places ?

Synopsis: The story of Violet and Theodore, who meet and change each other’s lives forever. As they struggle with the emotional and physical scars of their past, they discover that even the smallest places and moments can mean something.

Cast: Virginia Gardner, Elle Fanning, Justice Smith, Alexandra Shipp

Release Date: TBA

?=Most Excited For!

Are you going to see any of these movies? Which one are you most excited for?

Carly Coombe is currently in her last year of Teacher's College for P/J, additionally with an Honour Bachelors Degree in English and History. When she’s not busy balancing school and work, she often volunteers her time as a Girl Guide leader for a local unit or is working on her small business, which has taken off since quarantine. She will always be found with her nose in the latest book, sometimes even ones that have not been published yet. She aspires to earn her TEFL degree and become an English and History high school teacher.