This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

The Writer’s Corner 

woman reading a book on a couch in a library
Via Seven Shooter on Unsplash

You may have a driving passion for writing and reading books that get your creative juices flowing. It could also just be a hobby and a way for you to express yourself. There are many people who turn their passion and niche for writing into a successful career. In order to jumpstart your path to success, you have to figure out where to start. 

Woman sitting on bed with laptop and books
Photo by Windows from Unsplash

1. START WRITING: 

To become a skilled writer, you need to dedicate time to your craft. As a writer, I usually try to write six pages a day. That is roughly around 1500 words. If you can write an essay, you can write that many words. While writing, you have to get lost in it. If you begin to force it or think too hard, it will start to feel like a job. Then, you won’t be able to write the best content. Time usually flies when I’m getting lost in the thick of my work. Start out with a topic that you are interested in and build off of it. 

Woman reading book with friends
Photo by Alexis Brown from Unsplash

2. JOIN A COMMUNITY OF WRITERS:

Networking and building relationships within a community of writers is essential in being able to further your career. There are several Instagram pages, forums, websites, and apps to help connect writers of all genres. Being able to network will allow a writer to expand their horizons and even try to adopt writing techniques that are out of their comfort zone. It also permits writers to read writing other than their own. A great way to improve your writing is by reading other writers’ work and connecting with them. 

clocks
Photo by Jon Tyson from Unsplash

3. DEADLINES:

Professional writers have deadlines. Whether you are writing a novel or a short story, there are deadlines to have them turned in. Before you start writing, try to pace yourself. Give yourself times and dates to have a certain amount of your writing done. This will get you into the habit of writing on a schedule without any complications. Doing this will also help with the ability to be able to write through dreaded writer’s block. 

TikTok playing on a phone
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

4. BRAND YOURSELF:

Try branding yourself to get your name out there. Start with your social media. Changing your account names or even your bio will help other writers and literary agents see that you are indeed a writer. This will also help you to gain an audience that will be susceptible to the work that you put out into the world. There are several videos on YouTube on how to brand yourself! 

Being a writer is a fun experience, you just have to be willing to put in the work to get your career off of the ground. Whether you are wanting to be a professional writer or it is just a hobby, applying some of these tips will boost your skill set.

My name is Amari Morrison. I am currently an English major at the University of West Georgia. I plan on getting my certificate in publishing & editing and eventually a best-selling author.