mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

There are two people.

Person One lives with married parents in a house and has A’s and B’s in school. This person has never been in trouble at school or has a criminal record. This person has aspirations to finish college and go into their career afterward.

Person Two lives in a single-family household and has failed several classes throughout school. This person has been in trouble multiple times and does not have plans for life.

When you look at me, who do you see? Am I Person One or Two?

People presume negative things about me because I am African-American. I am perceived to be incompetent to complete the tasks as someone of a different color, when in fact I Aman junior in college on track to graduating early. 

I have been asked questions such as, “Do you have a father?” or “How does your mom do it on her own?” When in reality I have a father who has been married to my mom for 25 years and counting. I have never been without him my entire life.

I am not or have ever been one of the cliche stereotypes that have been ascribed to African-American teens.

For example, some people think just because a group of my friends and I are hanging out around Downtown Athens, we are “up to no good.” None of the people I hang out with have ever been in trouble in school or with police.

Why am I perceived as bad before I even speak?

I did not choose my skin color, but I did choose my character. Not only am I Person One, but I am Kennae Hunter, a black young adult who deserves just as much respect as any other young adult of any other race.

21. UWG Senior. Psalms 46:5. "For every dark night, there's a brighter day."-Tupac Shakur
I am a senior at the University of West Georgia studying Mass Communications concentrating on Digital Media and Telecommunications. My minor is in English literature. I hope to become a content creator once I graduate this December!