This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

When a friend of mine mentioned that she watched Korean (K) dramas, the first thing that came to mind was how? Isn’t that in another language? Isn’t there a cultural gap? How would you understand references? She told me that I didn’t have to be fluent in the language and that was the beauty of subtitles.

I watched a Korean drama with her and let me tell you, I am absolutely hooked to watching Korean dramas now! While they are full of drama, they also play out a great romance, action and mystery. If you are by chance feeling adventurous and want to distress a bit this week, I’ve got four great dramas to start you off!

1. Goblin

I recently started this one, so if you start it too we’ll be on the same page. This K Drama tells the story of a defeated warrior, Kim Shin, who is cursed to live on earth and never find peace. The Goblin (Kim Shin), is trapped on earth forever as punishment and the only way to break the curse is to find his bride. However, the Goblin is slowly realizing that acquiring peace can also mean losing the love of his life.

2. Doctors

If you like a powerful leading girl character then this is the K Drama for you. Main character, Hye Jung, has a hard start in life, but gains great success in becoming the one thing that no one thought she could do. Now as a doctor, she must save lives while trying to put together her own. Although she faces difficult situations between coworkers and her past, she is still a tough woman who knows herself and what she must do.

3. W

This is my all time favorite K Drama because it is so mysterious! W is so fantastic and it’s a great start intro into the K Drama fandom. The story starts when famous athlete Kang Chul is accused of murdering his family. Found not guilty at the end of his trials, he slowly recovers from such a horrific journey. However, the horrible accusations against him make him stronger and he turns his life around to become an successful businessman. Then there is Yeon-Joo, a young doctor, who accidently falls into his world (literally) where both their lives are changed forever.   

4. Fight My Way

This is a funny and cute K drama with a great story and strong resilient characters that remind you to never give up on your dreams. I haven’t dived into it yet, but a few of my friends seem to love it! Ko Dong-Man is a Taekwondo teacher and Choi Ae-Ra has dreams of becoming an announcer, but settles into a desk assistant instead. They like one another, but at the moment their friendship is the most important thing in their lives. Even so, will it always be this way?

Give it a try ladies! Watch these fantastic Korean dramas with an open mind and you are sure to fall in love with them and the characters. Hopefully these bring a smile to your face like they did and do to mine! ​

Currently a slightly stressed yet optimistic sophomore at the University of West Georgia. I'm a nursing major who believes in achieving your healthiest life! I also am a fan for fashion, DIY projects, books/movies, and little words of wisdom. My goals in life are simple; live laughing, be wise, get through nursing school, and enjoy doing all of it!