How To Have A Social Media Free Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

I’m sure you didn’t want to click on this post. I mean, who wants to give up social media for a couple of days. As bad as that sounds, that’s basically all of us. We live on social media, so there’s a struggle to give it up, even if it’s for a day or two. But I’d definitely recommend it. So if you’re thinking about giving up social media for a few days, read on for tips and advice!

Photo by Mikaela Shannon on Unsplash

Delete social media accounts:

while this isn’t super necessary, it will definitely help you to resist going on social media if you don’t see the apps on your phone! Deleting social media apps on your phone will also save you some storage on your phone (even if it’s only for a weekend haha). Also, get off your phone! That will also make it less tempting to re-download those apps.

Photo by Vladislav Muslakov on Unsplash

Do something you enjoy:

watch a movie, paint a picture, make your favorite food, read a book, hang out with friends, sleep! Just take time for yourself (i.e. spa day!). This is a weekend dedicated to you, so do what you love.

Photo by Haley Powers on Unsplash

Reflect:

sometimes social media can be draining, so use this weekend as a time to reflect on your values/motives and refresh your mind. Ask yourself questions like, “what makes me unique and beautiful? and “what can I tell myself when others try to challenge my beauty?” Questions like these will help you stay true to yourself once you re-download your social media apps.

I hope this article helped you realize that a social-media free weekend isn’t as difficult as it seems. There are other things we can do to have fun instead of social media, so if you’re planning a social media free weekend, get out and do those fun things! And also take time for yourself. Reflect and refresh. If you’re still not sure a social-media free weekend is something you can do, I hope this article eases the tension when it comes to this topic.

Do you have any other tips for having a social media-free weekend? Let us know in the comments!

Feature Photo by rawpixel.com on Unsplash

Itunu is a senior at the University of West Georgia. She is a Mass Communications major with a concentration on journalism, and a Creative Writing minor. In other words, she loves to write. She also loves Jesus, and enjoys food, Instagram, shoes and Pinterest. Itunu loves learning new things and hopes to become a fashion journalist one day. In her free time, she likes spending time with her friends and family, watching YouTube videos (or Netflix), and sleeping.