Career

Her Campus UWG: Black Owned Business Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

Her Campus UWG is highlighting black owned businesses that are present at the university. Over the course of the semester, we will be interviewing various businesses and entrepreneurs to promote them and raise awareness! We have recently interviewed one of the most outstanding photographers on campus, Jalen Sorrells. 

What is the name of your brand? 

Roq Shot It.

What inspired you to start doing photography? 

I’ve always enjoyed being creative, getting into graphic design etc., was with my friend at a studio in Atlanta and saw the pictures, then thought that they were really nice and decided to get a camera.

What advice would you give someone who is just starting to learn more about photography?

It doesn’t matter what camera you have. People think you have to get the most expensive camera but it is really about creating an image. Editing is important. People also think that it’s just throwing a filter on there but it’s more than that.

Can you tell us more about navigating the editing process for beginners? 

I first started editing on my phone. There are apps such as adobe lightroom, Polarr, VSCO, all of those are great apps. They have community filters that you can use but I tend to make my own filters.

What is your style of photography?

I really like vibrant colors and the black aesthetic. I like turning people who aren’t models, into models. A lot of the people I capture, it’s usually their first time. I like seeing other people’s reactions when they see their friends modeling.

Where do you see your brand 5 years from now?

I hope that I could be self-sufficient and do this full time doing work for black owned magazines, music artists, big or small. I’d like to have my own studio as well.

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

Even though I am about to graduate, I know that I still have a lot of growing to do. I’m the only man in the house right now so I would like to become more responsible in general. I’m understanding how important being organized is and it’s time to put those things into action.

After speaking with Jalen, it became clear that he is going to be an amazing photographer in the years to come. If you all would like to see some of his phenomenal work, check out his social media handlings below.

Jalen’s social media platforms: Instagram, Personal Instagram

My name is Amari Morrison. I am currently an English major at the University of West Georgia. I plan on getting my certificate in publishing & editing and eventually a best-selling author.