A Fun Way to Actually Stick With Your New Year Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

It’s the start of a new year and a fresh chapter. Ditch the bad habits and the hot mess syndrome because there are 365 days to make a positive upgrade in your life. Whether it’s the typical romance, finance, heath or career resolutions there are so many ways we can finally get things right this year -or at least go down trying. 

My favorite tradition of the new year is creating a vision board for my upcoming year. It’s a perfect way to transfer all my goals, thoughts and hopes for the new year onto a visual keepsake. Plus, I’m obsessed with any craft project or DIY. This is such a fun project for a girl’s night or a date night with the one you love.  Grab some snacks, wine and start cutting. You can also share your vision boards with each other when you’re finished for a fun bonding activity. See what you and your besties have in common for the new year and maybe you’ll find your new workout partner or travel comrade. 

The first step in creating your vision board is brainstorming. Come up with all the things you hope to accomplish in this new year, the improved attitude you hope to have or maybe a change you really need in your life. This process is the most important step and can take as long as you need.  It can help to mentally imagine destinations or places that inspire you, words that impact you and stories and people that excite you. Take all of this bottled up inspiration and transpire a theme for your board. 

The next step is gathering all the supplies you think you might need. I suggest a half-sized poster board, scissors, lots of magazines and some adhesive tape or glue. Make sure you have an assortment of different magazines and genres geared towards your vision board theme; health, love, travel, etc. You can also print out images online if the magazines aren’t speaking to you. 

When you are finished with your vision board take a second to notice the effort you put in to create this project with purpose. The words, phrases and pictures are a visual display and reminder of your goals and mission for the year. Hang your vision board somewhere that you will see daily. 

A day, week and even several months later you will have a positive reminder of the things you are continually working for.  If you decide to make this a tradition for yourself, you can simply go back year to year and see the growth and changes you have made throughout each yearly vision board.

I am a senior at the University of West Georgia, currently studying Mass communications/Public Relations. I am a lover of life, family, friends and doing things that bring happiness to others. I truly believe the world is full of positivity if we are open to wholeheartedly accept it. I am passionate about the inclusion of others, seeing the beauty in all people and things, and creating lasting relationships with people. Ever since I can remember, I’ve enjoyed creating things and expressing my creativity through design and artistic expression. I am an avid stationery addict, DIY junkie, and lover all things beauty, fashion and lifestyle.