This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

Crime TV shows have been one of the most popular genres in television. There has never been a better way to pass the time watching crime fiction. If you’re looking to get over your boredom or just witness some good old fashion detective work, these shows are just for you.

Criminal Minds

Photo by CBS All Access

I loved this show as soon as I began watching it. Criminal Minds is a series that follows a team of FBI profilers. Their unit is called the Behavioral Analysis Unit where they analyze criminals on how they think and anticipate their next moves. Each episode is different in the cases but if you’re one to follow the lives of our main FBI characters, you might as well just start from the very beginning. Within each case, the team is faced with danger and violence that only tests their emotions and their actions to do what whatever it takes to stop them.

NCIS

Photo by CBS All Access

My brother got me started in watching NCIS because he was in ROTC. He is now a Lance Corporal in the Marine Corps. NCIS is about the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in Washington, D.C. that focuses on solving crimes with ties to the Navy or the Marine Corps. Just like the team from Criminal Minds, NCIS has a very complex but loveable team that work together in their investigations. You will fall in love with this show because of the wonderful cast, especially Mark Harmon who plays the one and only Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, a man of few words and a former Marine. He and his team act as a family and, as soon as you watch it, you will feel like you are apart of their family too. Follow Gibbs and his team as they solve crimes that involve anything from murder and terrorism to stolen submarines and espionage.

NCIS: Los Angeles

Photo by CBS All Access

NCIS: Los Angeles is a spin-off of the the original series that is based off in Los Angeles, California. The NCIS LA team is a subdivision that goes deep undercover in order to catch the bad guys. They risk their lives in order to protect the United States from those who threaten national security. This team is lead by Operations Manager Henrietta, or also known as “Hetty,” and Special Agent “G” Callen” who are two very quiet people, much like Gibbs. They have the best high-tech software and gears that help them in situations that could be dangerous for their lives. They do what is necessary to protect the nation’s interest.

NCIS: New Orleans

Photo by CBS All Access

Another spin-off to the original series, NCIS: New Orleans follows Special Agent Dwayne Pride, also known as “King,” and his team as they investigate crimes in the city of New Orleans that is well-known for its music, parties in the street, and great food. They are tested in several cases where they must fight for what they believe in. Undermined by authority figures, one being the Secretary of the Navy, Pride and his team work to do what is right and help those in need.

Bodyguard

Photo by Neflix

A war veteran by the name of David Budd is tasked to protect Julia Montague, the Home Secretary, who supported the war in Iraq and Afghanistan to which he fought in. Tension rises as Secretary Montague plans to change civil liberities by updating RIPA, conflicting Budd’s encounters as a soldier.

Blue Bloods

Photo by CBS All Access

Blue Bloods follows a family of cops that go on for generations and generations, each dedicating their jobs to the NYPD. The Reagan family go through a series of ups and downs as they battle with solving crime and their personal lives. No family is without drama so prepare yourselves for lots of it.

Law & Order

Photo by NBC

Law & Order was one of the longest run crime tv shows ever aired. Premiering on September 13, 1990, this show ran all the way up until 2010. It has 456 episodes with a spin-off (will be talking about that one in the next paragraph) and a movie. The structure of this show runs an hour long which spans out into two parts: the first part being the detectives do their police work of investigating the crime while the stand part is the prosecution process taken place in the courtroom.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Photo by NBC

Just like its original series, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit is currently the longest running crime show on television with 20 seasons. Within each police department, there is a unit made for special victim cases. This show deals with a group of detectives who investigate crimes of sexual assault, domestic violence, and child abuse. The leader of the team is Lieutenant Olivia Benson who has been in apart of the special victims unit for a long time. She is able to relate to the victims and perpetrators because of her difficult past.

Hawaii-Five-O

Photo by CBS All Access

Hawaii Five-0 is a classic series about a federal task force that is assigned to solve and prevent crime from happening on Hawaii’s shores. With his own rules in place, Detective Steve McGarrett has the full backing of federal authority to take down anyone that stands in the way of justice.

Killing Eve

Photo by BBC America

Starring Grey’s Anatomy alum Sandra Oh and The White Princess Jodie Comer, Killing Eve is about two women: Eve who is an MI5 spy tasked to killing the other woman Villanelle who is a cruel but talented killer. As they play a game of cat and mouse chase, the women become obsessed with each other.

I’m telling you, you will definitely feel all kinds of emotions with these shows. These shows, in my opinion, are some of the bests. I hope you enjoy them (or are enjoying them) as much as I do! Happy viewing!

Victoria is a senior at the University of West Georgia. She is an English major with a minor in Mass Communications. She loves fashion, coffee, reading, writing and all things related to motorcycles.