African American Trailblazers of 2018 – 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

African Americans have contributed a lot to the American culture from music and fashion to religion and inventions. The African American culture has continued to be influential on the lives of people throughout the world. Because African Americans have impacted America in such a huge way, we have the month of February to celebrate the success and triumphs of African Americans from the past, present, and future. In honor of Black History month, I would like to show appreciation and gratitude by sharing some of the milestones accomplished by African Americans in the year 2018-2019.

In 2018, there were more than 460 African American women running for office.

Photo by Black Butterfly Beautiful Blog

The Marvel movie Black Panther has set a historic record for the highest number of pre-ticket sales.

Photo by Marvel Studios

The Winter Olympic had the most diverse teams with USA having 10 black athletes competing on the team.

Photo by Getty via News One

Marsai Martin from the popular TV show Black-ish is the youngest woman to executive produce her on feature film at the age of 13.

Photo by DANNY MOLOSHOK/INVISION/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK via Variety

Colin Kaepernick continues to inform and shed light on the mistreatment of minorities by donating to charities and kneeling during the national anthem to bring awareness to the disadvantages that mniorities face.

Photo by Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press via Hartford Courant

My name is Kennedy Austin, I am a speech-language pathology major. In my spare time, I like to hangout with friends and family. I adore animals but mostly puppies. I watch television as much as I can.