Style

5 Trendy Protective Styles for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWG chapter.

Midterms are over, cold mornings are gone and the sun and its perfect beach waves are waiting for you. Spring Break is almost here and if you’ve been preparing for the mini vacation, I know hair is on your list. If you are struggling on deciding the best hairstyle for you on vacations, no need to fear! Here are 5 trendy protective styles for us girls who need a little break from the long wash days and chemicals. We even included some great products that you can use on your vacation to maintain your style.

1. Faux Locs

Photo by Tarzine Jackson from Pexels

Have you ever been questioning whether or not Faux Locs or real dread locs are good for you? Now is the time to do that! Faux Locs allows you to kill two birds with one stone. This is a cool island style you can get without having to make any permanent commitment. Apply penetrating oil to your scalp to keep it fresh and oiled. I recommend OGX Renewing + Moroccan Argan Penetrating Oil ($5.74). This helps to replace the moisture in your hair that has been stripped away by the pool or seawater.

2. Crochet

Photo by Ogo from Pexels

This style is quick and affordable. You can do a half-up, half-down style. Make sure you use oils in between the base of your braids and on your scalp when the instalation is done. Don’t forget to trim the frayed ends. In order to keep the hair moisturized, I recommend Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Refresher Spray ($8.19) to keep your scalp moisturized and penetrating throughout the long sunny days try OGX Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Extra Penetrating Oil – Dry & Course Hair ($5.49).

3. Sew-In

Photo by Dellon Thomas and lascot studio from Pexels

If you wanna rock that curly or straight sew-in, you want to make sure your hair is protected and well-maintained while looking fresh. I recommend DevaCurl Styling Cream ($26) for styling and keeping your hair beach-wave ready.

4. Natural Curls

Photo by Waldir Santos from Pexels

This style can be great but a little tricky. Your curls or waves will need plenty of nourishment, especially in the sun. Not everyone shares the same curl patterns so here are some products I recommend to each type.

For Type 3’s and waves to looser curls, try OGX Quenching Coconut Curls Shampoo and Conditioner ($12.99). To style this type of hair in the sun, trying using Mielle’s Honey & Ginger Styling Gel ($12.99).

For Type 4’s and more tight coils/kinky texture, try using Camille Rose’s Curl Maker Marshmallow and Agave Leaf Extract ($22) for styling.

Photo by Christina Morillo from Pexels

For both curls and waves, try Shea Moisture Coconut Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($10.99)

5. Twists/Braids

Photo by Godisable Jacob from Pexels

If you want more of a beach babe vibe whether it’s in the Bahamas or in Cali, twists and braids are the go-to style to make a statement. There is so much to choose from. Feed-In Braids to Jumbo Marley Twists or Senegalese Twists. When you’re done using ORS Olive Oil Nourishing Sheen Spray ($4.97), I swear you will feel like you just died and went to nourishment heaven.

Photo by Ogo from Pexels

Sophomore '21 Mass Communications (Journalism) Writer, Barista, Marvel Fanatic, Movie Enthusiast, Guitarist, Youtuber